[News] Google Brings Space to Linux (Also Comes Under Fire)

  • Subject: [News] Google Brings Space to Linux (Also Comes Under Fire)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 13:38:47 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Google Earth shows the sky on openSuse 10.2

,----[ Quote ]
| There's just something seductive about flying around interstellar space from
| star to star, galaxy to nebula. I feel like a kid again in the 60's when I
| bought my first telescope at K-mart in Atlanta, a basic Newtonian with three
| eye pieces and a sun filter. It cost $50 of hard-earned yard mowing profits.
`----

http://blogbeebe.blogspot.com/2007/08/google-earth-shows-sky.html

This will probably drive some programs out of steam/business.

Google under fire...

Prosecutors: Google Not Providing Info

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. and Yahoo Inc. have provided user information in similar
| cases, Suiama told a news conference.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070823/brazil_google.html?.v=1

Privacy vs governments and censorship. Privacy again:

Google now zaps faces, license plates on Map Street View

,----[ Quote ]
| Google has gotten a lot of flack from privacy advocates for photographing
| faces and license plate numbers and displaying them on the Street View in
| Google Maps. Originally, the company said only people who identified
| themselves could ask the company to remove their image.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9764512-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Some people complain about racist comments in YouTube and call for boycotts,
but when Google deletes comments, people get angry as well...

Youtube Censoring Ratings and Comments

,----[ Quote ]
| Can anyone explain why this should be happening? This has only happened to me
| a couple times, and it’s always been when I’m commenting on  a controversial
| video.
`----

http://femacamper.wordpress.com/2007/08/22/youtube-censoring-ratings-and-comments/

More dirty manoeuvres.

Google Paid Lobbyist $140,000 in 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| Search site operator Google Inc. paid King & Spalding LLP $140,000 in the
| first half of 2007 to lobby the federal government on its proposed
| acquisition of online advertising company Doubleclick Inc.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070822/google_lobbying.html?.v=1

Like 5-year-olds with "he started it".