[News] [Rival] Wal-Mart Plays Only with Windows; ComScore Stats Flawed, Win32 Spyware, Now Suspended

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Wal-Mart Plays Only with Windows; ComScore Stats Flawed, Win32 Spyware, Now Suspended
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 12:34:23 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Trust program suspends comScore software

,----[ Quote ]
| An organization that certifies computer software as consumer-friendly and
| noninvasive has suspended comScore Inc. and one of its programs used to track
| Internet usage.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070822/ap_on_hi_te/techbit_comscore_suspension

Remember all those biased Web statistics that only take account of
Windows-centric sites? How about these search engines figures? Or Alexa? All
that spyware is usually IE/Windows-only. Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Speaking of Windows-centric stupidity (from Jack 'Microsoft' Schofield):

Wal-Mart offers cheaper DRM-free music, but not for Mac owners

,----[ Quote ]
| Wal-Mart has started offering Universal music tracks in the unprotected MP3
| format, as promised. These play anywhere, but the site only works with
| Windows...
`----

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technology/archives/2007/08/22/walmart_offers_cheaper_drmfree_music_but_not_for_mac_owners.html

Screenshot:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11955586@N03/

Related:

Microsoft's Silverlight Promises to Disrupt Linux Web Users

,----[ Quote ]
| Just as it seemed that Linux users (especially 64-bit users) would
| finally be able to enjoy streaming content with a minimum of
| hassle, Microsoft's new Silverlight software promises to throw a
| wrench in the works. Because of sites like Google Video and
| Youtube, Flash video has become a common means of streaming
| multimedia over the Internet.

Photosynth for Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the demonstration video of Photo Tourism which was later
| transformed into Microsoft Photosynth (Wikipedia). Now, you'll find
| it difficult to disagree with me when I say this is a great product.
| It just has that "cool factor".
|
| However, the Photosynth website says at the system requirements: Only
| Windows XP SP2 and Windows Vista RC1 or later are supported at this
| time. However, the video I showed above clearly shows it running on
| Linux (take a look at the titlebar of the web browser or the "add
| annotation dialog"). This could mean two things:
|
|    1. Microsoft deliberately decided not to support Linux
|    2. Microsoft may still want to make this available for Linux
`----

http://xubuntublog.wordpress.com/2007/03/02/photosynth-for-linux/

Microsoft's 'Everywhere' excludes Linux

,----[ Quote ]