[News] Adobe Treats Linux Like First-class Citizen with Flash, But Kills Freedom

  • Subject: [News] Adobe Treats Linux Like First-class Citizen with Flash, But Kills Freedom
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 10:22:39 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Adobe improves Flash video

,----[ Quote ]
| The next version of Flash Player will support the H.264 video codec -
| allowing much better quality footage, for less bandwidth.

H dot two sixty four

,----[ Quote ]
| There is a new beta of the Flash Player Update available. That's right: the
| beta is even available for Linux (same time as Windows and Mac). Download it
| here.

[theora] This is a sad day for interoperability in the Web

,----[ Quote ]
| Today, Adobe Systems Incorporated announced[1] that they will extend
| their Flash platform to support the proprietary H.264 and HE-AAC
| formats.

There's still hope.

Gnash runs on Syllable!

,----[ Quote ]
| I finally managed to get Gnash (cvs download, though version 0.8 should work
| fine) running on Syllable 0.6.4. Since my new machine isn't frying the
| filesystem every 5 minutes, I was able to work for a little bit and get this
| running.

Syllable uses the Linux kernel. Google to add ads to YouTube videos, which
gnash/swfdec should handle fine (Flash 7).

YouTube videos to have 'overlay' ads

,----[ Quote ]
| Starting Wednesday, the popular video-sharing site plans to feature
| semitransparent "overlay" ads at the bottom of selected video clips.

Making Gnash: a well-deserved name?

,----[ Quote ]
| Gnash is the Free Software Foundation’s alternative Adobe Flash player.
| Version 0.8 is the third alpha release, and frankly, it rocks! It is
| also one of the first projects to be covered by the GPLv3.

Interview with Rob Savoye of Gnash, the GPL Flash project

,----[ Quote ]
| 6. What features does the current version of Gnash support?
| We support a large chunk of ActionScript2 classes, and Flash v7
| movies. There is some support for v8 starting to get added as it's
| not very difference from v7. Although streaming video currently works
| in CVS, it's not fully functional yet. I find that Gnash plays them
| ajority of web pages Flash ads (unfortunately), and many movies
| randomly grabbed from the net. Many of us are using Gnash as our
| only Flash player without much trouble.

Flash Development Revolutionized with the Open-Source Release of Gaia Flash

,----[ Quote ]
| The Gaia Flash Framework has already earned the praise of high-profile
| coders including world-renowned Flash and Flex developer Jesse Warden.

Gnash [Open Source Flash] 0.8.0 release made

,----[ Quote ]
| Gnash supports the majority of Flash opcodes up to SWF version 7, and
| a wide sampling of ActionScript classes for SWF version 8.5. All the
| core ones are implemented, and many of the newer ones work, but may be
| missing some of their methods.

Ryan, Open Source, and Flash

,----[ Quote ]