Re: [News] Freespire is Already Falling Behind

Hadron wrote:

Oh dear, poor Hadron, so wanting to understand computers, but so lacking in
knowledge and sense.

> BearItAll <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Freespire aspires, but fails to inspire
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.linux.com/feature/118615
>>>

>> I see Freespire and Linspire the other way round to that writer.
>>
>> I think it is extremely easy to use with no Linux experience necessary.
>> But you are very likely to out-grow it.
>>
>> It is very much a client, could easily be argued that it is too far that
>> way. Many of the things we regularly use on Linux, usually in the
>> background, are services, the lack of these services is eventually a
>> brick wall in the Freespire/Linspire world.
>
> What a complete load of crap. You can install these to your hearts
> content on any mainstream Linux distro.

I know you can install them, but how far do you go before you might as well
have used openSuse, Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS .....

By the same token all Linux is Linux so you could install any and get the
same result. But don't we all tend to take one that is biased towards our
areas of interest or even synthetic taste, otherwise there would only be
need for one Linux distro.

>> This comment doesn't come into play if you also have a server, because
>> that will take over the services that are missing. Which in many cases is
>
> No it wont. You *mean* you *might* install those services on that
> server. Unlikely to be the case in a home environment but with wireless
> it might become more common.

Do you know what is meant by services? Wifi doesn't make a difference to
what I was talking about.

>> exactly what the user wants. No point having a server sitting idle, make
>> the bugger work for a living taking time consuming or labour intensive
>> tasks off the client.
>
> What *are* you talking about? 99% of the time the Home desktop is idling
> anyway - running a news server, mail server, web server, RDBMS consumes
> next to nothing for the average home user on their prime
> desktop. Especially when one considers that most home users only really
> burn up the CPU when playing games which is FAR less likely on Linux.

You can make better use of your home server than that.

>> But for many of us, even on our laptops, we want some services local, for
>> when we are out of the office etc.
>>

> ps "even on our laptops" surely means "on our laptops" when you talk
> about being "out of the office".  Err, Yeah. Right.
>
> So in other words - install them locally unless you are in a multi user
> environment or have a mobile platform with a need for offline services.

{tap tap gently on Hadron's shoulder} You really are dim. You haven't the
faintest idea of what a server is or what it does have you.