Western Digital drive is DRM-crippled for your safety

  • Subject: Western Digital drive is DRM-crippled for your safety
  • From: "nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 10:00:27 -0800 (PST)
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
<Quote>
Western Digital's 1TB My Book World Edition external hard drive has
been crippled by DRM for your safety. ...the remote-access HDD won't
share media files over network connections. Which is, as you can see
here, the entire stinking point of it.

It's a scary world full of potentially unlicensed media. We're
fortunate there's a hard drive vendor willing to step forward and do
some indiscriminate policing for us....

WD's list of banned file types encompasses over 35 extensions. This
includes AAC, MP3, AVI, DivX, WMV, and QuickTime files. And - why not?
-- Windows TMP files too.

The storage device is billed as a "surprisingly simple and secure way
to access and share data and photos" using your home or office
network. And technically that's true -- namely, the "way" in question
is not letting you do it. Abstinence is simple and secure. You've got
to hand it to Western Digital.
</Quote>

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/07/western_digital_drm_crippled_harddrive/