Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

Hadron <hadronquark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Roy, when will you stop advocating theft of people's music and video
> creations. "Sharing" is mostly illegal.
>
> You want it? Buy it. Simple.

While I agree with the sentiment, I've yet to see a DRM scheme that
did anything more than inconvenience the user while do almost nothing
to protect copyrights.  A prime example: I bought some audio books on
I tunes for my trip to Connecticut.  Wanted to translate them to MP3
to play on my portable on the way out, but of course Apple doesn't
allow that.  I had to jump through major hoops to get them into a
format that was useful.  I suppose Apple would like for me to buy an
iPod to simplify things, but I'm more inclined to just not buy stuff
from iTunes anymore.

DRM is just a bad business idea.

Thad