Re: Roy comes unprepared and hurts Linux and ODF!

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 14:47:04 -0800 (PST), Karen Hill
<karen_hill22@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>x-no-archive:yes
>
>Roy, I agree with your opinion that MS has very unclean motives for
>Linux.  There is a lot of evidence that you could have cornered Miguel
>with and changed history!  The hundreds of thousands of slashdot,
>digg, senators, attorney generals, and news junkies didn't hear your
>points.  You didn't prepare for your one chance and you lost the
>debate and hurt linux big time.  A normal person would think that
>Miguel won the debate by a wide margin.  And even worse, you didn't
>prepare for the media onslaught and boycottnovell.com was down due to
>everyone visiting!!!
>
>Roy, OOXML probably is going to take over ODF now because of this
>failure. The media was all over this and people around the water
>cooler were eager to hear why ODF should prevail.  All you had to do
>was corner Miguel by any of the excellent points you have written on
>your site.  Imagine the headlines, "Miguel forced to admit OOXML
>risks!".  I saw plenty of chances to make history and big news in that
>debate and you missed them all!
>
> Even if you were unprepared for the debates, you made a huge mistake
>of not having adequate bandwidth for your site. People were eager to
>hear the message, and they tried getting to the site and it was down.
>They probably have forgotten about this issue and won't think of it
>again and then just click save as "OOXML".  Given the stakes, how much
>preparation, practice and talking point construction do you think the
>opposition had planned?  And you came unprepared.  The facts were
>favoring your side.  The sad fact is, no one will trust you again to
>speak as a leader.  What kind of leader doesn't prepare for battle?  A
>student who doesn't study for the test they could have aced?
>
>You have just doomed an entire generation to OOXML.  They have just
>finished the embrace part.  Next comes extend.

1. They did announce at the start of the show that Roy's site was
overwhelmed. I don't think we can blame Roy for that one.

2. I give Roy credit for going on the show because it's not easy doing
stuff like that. Yea I know it looks easy when CNN talking heads do it
every night. Those people are professionals, Roy is not. The chance
for a major fsck up is very real and while Roy was less than
stimulating, he didn't fsck up big time.
He did ok.

3. That being said, one of the other people put the entire topic in a
nutshell when he said "my neighbor Karen wants to know, who actually
cares about this stuff?"

4. Notice the other people acknowledged that MSOffice 2007 already has
more users than OpenOffice. And that's only ONE of the versions.

5. Notice how the other people acknowledged that people will save
files in the native office format.

6. Notice how the other people realize that they have to play touchy
feely with MS even if it is just to get interface specs etc.

7. Roy goes off the deep end when the above are mentioned, but the
others realize that they have to take baby steps before they can walk,
let alone run.
Roy takes the hard stance and IMHO that is wrong.
Don't let your guard down, but comprimise when it is to your
advantage.

In conclusion, Schestowitz is every public relations manager's
nightmare.
He is boring, monotone, has a very odd accent and spends so much time
choosing his words so that he sounds intellectual that by the time he
finishes the sentence, the audience has forgotton what the subject
was.

I have a friend like Roy.
Flatfish: What do you do for a living?
I am an enginner.
What kind of Engineer?
Electrical.
What kind of electrical ?
Primary power.
Why did you choose primary power over say servo amplifier design?
I dunno the money was better.
What kind of money?
The green paper kind.
I don't get it...

etc......

WTF????
This is over lunch with 4 other people at the table...
The guy is just annoying....
For the record, he is a top scientist working for a think tank in DC.
Smart?
Yep.
But boring and irritating.
He belongs in a rubber room far away from people.
When he figures out how to make a flux capacitor, and he very well
just might, the world will be better.

I don't say the above to be mean, it's just the way I see/hear it.
I'm no bargain either.
I sound terrible when recorded.
I have a Brooklyn accent about 80 percent of Fran Drescher's.
I tend to speak very fast and use a lot of NYC slang.
So in effect I too am a public relations manager's worst nightmare.

Roy, overall did ok but he is obviously a scientific type and should
stay in the lab.