Re: Roy comes unprepared and hurts Linux and ODF!

x-no-archive:yes

On Dec 6, 3:14 pm, flatfish <flatf...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1. They did announce at the start of the show that Roy's site was
> overwhelmed. I don't think we can blame Roy for that one.

Any reasonable person would get more bandwidth in anticipation of a
major debate between him and an OOXML supporter.  Miguel, the Vice
President of NOVELL even called in!  This is an epic battle with
titans of the software industry involved.  Using a shared hosting site
is pathetic preparation, especially if this person has a BS in Comp
Sci. He should have known better.  Especially since this was his
chance at big time.

> 2. I give Roy credit for going on the show because it's not easy doing
> stuff like that. Yea I know it looks easy when CNN talking heads do it
> every night. Those people are professionals, Roy is not. The chance
> for a major fsck up is very real and while Roy was less than
> stimulating, he didn't fsck up big time.
> He did ok.

One day after the debate.  Do you think MS would be bold enough to do
this so early if Roy had won?  Look on the front page of slashdot
right now.  Here is part of the summary:

"Microsoft is going back on one of their promises concerning OOXML.
While they originally made assurances that the ISO would take control
of the standard if it were approved, Microsoft is now reversing that
position and keeping near-full control over OOXML with the EMCA"....
"In Microsoft's new plan, the ISO would only be allowed to publish
lists of errata and would be unable to make OOXML compatible with
existing ISO standards"

> 3. That being said, one of the other people put the entire topic in a
> nutshell when he said "my neighbor Karen wants to know, who actually
> cares about this stuff?"

If Roy had prepared and done his job it would be very clear why anyone
cares about this stuff.

> In conclusion, Schestowitz is every public relations manager's
> nightmare.
> He is boring, monotone, has a very odd accent and spends so much time
> choosing his words so that he sounds intellectual that by the time he
> finishes the sentence, the audience has forgotton what the subject
> was.

This is why you prepare talking points.  Engineers make presentations
all the time that are not boring.  Look at Linus' tech talk at
google.  It was wonderful.  But you can't just wing it!  You need to
prepare, and Roy should have had mock debates to iron out any flaws.
He didn't do it and it showed.  If he had prepared

> Roy, overall did ok but he is obviously a scientific type and should
> stay in the lab.

Except he took on the ROLE of leadership against OOXML.  And we were
counting on him to make a prepared, thoughtful and powerful
presentation.  He could have spent some time at toastmasters.  Pulled
his friends and had mock debates.  He didn't, he justed winged it and
now MS is going full bore on the extend phase: