Re: Roy comes unprepared and hurts Linux and ODF!

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 15:47:12 -0800 (PST), Karen Hill
<karen_hill22@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>x-no-archive:yes
>
>On Dec 6, 3:14 pm, flatfish <flatf...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> 1. They did announce at the start of the show that Roy's site was
>> overwhelmed. I don't think we can blame Roy for that one.
>
>Any reasonable person would get more bandwidth in anticipation of a
>major debate between him and an OOXML supporter.  Miguel, the Vice
>President of NOVELL even called in!  This is an epic battle with
>titans of the software industry involved.  Using a shared hosting site
>is pathetic preparation, especially if this person has a BS in Comp
>Sci. He should have known better.  Especially since this was his
>chance at big time.

Ooo...I didn't catch that!
I guess I didn't know who Miguel was :)

>> 2. I give Roy credit for going on the show because it's not easy doing
>> stuff like that. Yea I know it looks easy when CNN talking heads do it
>> every night. Those people are professionals, Roy is not. The chance
>> for a major fsck up is very real and while Roy was less than
>> stimulating, he didn't fsck up big time.
>> He did ok.
>
>http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20071206131310362
>
>One day after the debate.  Do you think MS would be bold enough to do
>this so early if Roy had won?  Look on the front page of slashdot
>right now.  Here is part of the summary:
>
>"Microsoft is going back on one of their promises concerning OOXML.
>While they originally made assurances that the ISO would take control
>of the standard if it were approved, Microsoft is now reversing that
>position and keeping near-full control over OOXML with the EMCA"....
>"In Microsoft's new plan, the ISO would only be allowed to publish
>lists of errata and would be unable to make OOXML compatible with
>existing ISO standards"

Oh, I don't think Roy won.
Not at all.
He lost, big time, but at least he didn't say anything totally
ignorant like I figured he would.
It's all relative.

>> 3. That being said, one of the other people put the entire topic in a
>> nutshell when he said "my neighbor Karen wants to know, who actually
>> cares about this stuff?"
>
>If Roy had prepared and done his job it would be very clear why anyone
>cares about this stuff.

To be honest, Roy totally confused me.
If I did not know in advance what the subject was and what side of the
subject Roy was on, I never could have figured it out.

>> In conclusion, Schestowitz is every public relations manager's
>> nightmare.
>> He is boring, monotone, has a very odd accent and spends so much time
>> choosing his words so that he sounds intellectual that by the time he
>> finishes the sentence, the audience has forgotton what the subject
>> was.
>
>This is why you prepare talking points.  Engineers make presentations
>all the time that are not boring.  Look at Linus' tech talk at
>google.  It was wonderful.  But you can't just wing it!  You need to
>prepare, and Roy should have had mock debates to iron out any flaws.
>He didn't do it and it showed.  If he had prepared

You should hear Phillpe Kahn, Borland or Scott from Sun.
Hysterically funny and lots of fun.

Roy just did not make his points clear. IOW it was difficult to figure
out what he was trying to say.

>> Roy, overall did ok but he is obviously a scientific type and should
>> stay in the lab.
>
>Except he took on the ROLE of leadership against OOXML.  And we were
>counting on him to make a prepared, thoughtful and powerful
>presentation.  He could have spent some time at toastmasters.  Pulled
>his friends and had mock debates.  He didn't, he justed winged it and
>now MS is going full bore on the extend phase:

Yes he did and I suspect he has attracted the attention of quite a few
people who are going to now challenge him to put up.

It's one thing screwing around in COLA.
It's a totally different thing when Microsoft asks you to come on CNN
or MSNBC and debate.
That's the big leagues.

Roy brought this on himself because he believes in his cause.
That's a good thing, but hopefully he is ready to deal with the can of
worms he has opened.

>http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20071206131310362
>http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/12/06/2129203

Agreed.