Re: Roy's podcast

On 2007-12-05, Hadron <hadronquark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Of more interest is why Roy's article has caused his account to be
> suspended?
>
> http://boycottnovell.com/2007/10/28/odf-ooxml-mono-gnome-openoffice/

It got slashdotted.  Note the URL that it now redirects to:

    <http://pass3.dizinc.com/suspended.page/>

Pass3 is a reseller hosting server at surpasshosting.com.  (Before Roy
gets all paranoid that I'm digging into his ISP now...I also have a
reseller account at surpasshosting.com, so recognize this.  My site is
on pass12).

The way reseller plans work is as follows.  I'll use the one I'm on as
an example, but others are the similar, just with different numbers.
Mine is the Silver plan: $25/month or $250 year, for 40 GB of disk
space, and for 4000 GB of bandwidth/month.  Actually, it is twice that
disk space and bandwidth, split into two pools.  One pool is for my
site.  The other is the reseller pool.

Using a simple web-based interface, I can make plans of my own
(basically, combinations of disk space, bandwidth, and subsets of the
various programs that Surpass has automated support for).  I can then
sell these plans to others, and their space and bandwidth comes out of
my reseller pool.  If they want support, they come to me, and so on.  As
far as they are concerned, I have a hosting company and they deal with
me--it is transparent to them that I'm actually getting everything from
another hosting company.

I don't actually do that.  If you have more than one domain, it can make
sense to get a reseller plan, and use the first pool for your main site,
and then carve up the reseller space for your other domains.  Basically,
you resell to yourself.  Another case is where you have a couple friends
with domains, and get a reseller account to put them all on.  The
advantage in both these cases over everyone getting their own account is
that you get more control on a reseller account, and it can also be
cheaper overall.

Anyway, that's how boycottnovell works.  I don't know what particular
plan it is on, and how the reseller pool on that plan is carved up, so
can't say what their bandwidth limit is--but evidently it is below what
you get when your site is linked to above the fold in a slashdot story!
:-)