Re: [News] Linux Very Suitable as a Gift, Main Platform for Family

____/ Ben Miller-Jacobson on Monday 03 December 2007 02:25 : \____

http://www.velocitywebdev.com/2007/12/01/why-i-will-recommend-linux-to-family-this-year/

>> Give the gift of Linux!
>>
>> I'm going to burn my daughter a set of Linux CD's for Christmas.
>
> Every now and then, I buy a stack of CD-Rs and burn a bunch of Ubuntu
> live CDs and leave them at the local computer stores. CD-Rs are
> basically dirt cheap, so why not?

Pretty much /any/ gift which involves knowledge/art/code can be reproduced
infinitely, and almost for free (in terms of cost). This assumes that you're
not messing about with copyrighted garbage, which loses attraction as time
goes by because of DRM and  planned obsolesce embodied in physical
media/format.

>> (Joke! Joke!)
>>
>> Well, at least it would be better than being given a burned music CD for
>> Christmas, as happened to me; I couldn't believe someone would stoop to
>> such gauchery.
>>

> I, too, have received a burnt music CD as a gift. I saddest part was
> that it was mostly rap.

When I was 15, this girl I was with bought me a CD for Christmas, but I, in
return, burned her a couple. I guess that makes me one of those who "stoop to
such gauchery," but it was actually just part of a broader set of gifts. I'm
still wearing that necklace she bought me (even at the moment) and we're still
in touch sometimes.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   McDonald's Certified Sandwich Engineer (MCSE)
Cpu(s): 25.3%us,  4.0%sy,  1.0%ni, 65.3%id,  4.0%wa,  0.2%hi,  0.2%si,  0.0%st