[News] OpenCourseWare is Complete. Education Embraces Free Software Concepts.

  • Subject: [News] OpenCourseWare is Complete. Education Embraces Free Software Concepts.
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 01:38:46 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
MIT digitizes its courses, throws them online

,----[ Quote ]
| MIT this week announced an important digital achievement: the completion of
| its pioneering OpenCourseWare project. And everyone involved seems quite
| happy with being unsure about why exactly it's important.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/112907-mit-digitizes-courses.html

Recent:

MIT OpenCourseWare expands for high school students

,----[ Quote ]
| The Massachusetts Institute of Technology is taking on the issue of
| inadequate education for youth by extending its OpenCourseWare (OCW) program
| to include secondary level students.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9825103-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Related:

'The New York Times' drops online subscription service

,----[ Quote ]
| The New York Times has finally given up on the Web-subscription model,
| announcing Monday that the newspaper's online site will no longer charge for
| any content.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9780063-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

OUP wants me to pay for my own Open Access article

,----[ Quote ]
| The journal wishes to charge me 48 USD to:
|
|     * USE MY OWN ARTICLE
|     * ON WHICH I HOLD COPYRIGHT
|     * FOR NON-COMMERCIAL PURPOSES (TEACHING)
|
| The journal is therefore
|
|     * SELLING MY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
|     * WITHOUT MY PERMISSION
|     * AGAINST THE TERMS OF THE LICENCE (NO COMMERCIAL USE)
|
| I am lost for words...
`----

http://wwmm.ch.cam.ac.uk/blogs/murrayrust/?p=529

A Quest to Get More Court Rulings Online, and Free

,----[ Quote ]
| The domination of two legal research services over the publication of federal
| and state court decisions is being challenged by an Internet gadfly who has
| embarked on an ambitious project to make more than 10 million pages of case
| law available free online.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/20/technology/20westlaw.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Libraries Defend Open Access

,----[ Quote ]
| In an open letter last month, Rockefeller University Press castigated the
| publishers' sock-puppet outfit, PRISM, for using distorting rhetoric in a
| coordinated PR attack on open access. N
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/09/08/1739235&from=rss

News Corp undecided on making WSJ.com free

,----[ Quote ]
| "It would be a very expensive thing to do in the short term," Murdoch told
| analysts on a telephone conference call to discuss News Corp's quarterly
| earnings. "In the long term, it may be a wonderful thing to do, but we're
| looking at it very closely."
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070808/media_nm/newscorp_results_journal_dc

The Land of "Nothing for free"

,----[ Quote ]
| I was down there to give a talk on "Open Source Business Models"
| for a conference. Also represented were entertainment industry
| lawyers, "Big Telecom" management, and a smattering of software
| people. Microsoft was there of course. You can't hold a church
| fete with "Open Source" on the banner these days without Microsoft
| turning up and requesting representation. At least we also had
| Bruce Perens on our side to help make up the balance. The venue
| eas an unbelievably expensive hotel. Even though I was on
| expenses I balked at asking the company to pay for a room
| there and found something cheaper (not by much) a few miles
| down the road.
`----

http://samba.org/samba/news/articles/low_point/column11.html

Academia's Open Access movement mirrors FOSS community

,----[ Quote ]
| Free and open source software (FOSS) has roots in the ideals of academic
| freedom and the unimpeded exchange of information. In the last five years,
| the concepts have come full circle, with FOSS serving as a model for Open
| Access (OA), a movement within academia to promote unrestricted access to
| scholarly material for both researchers and the general public.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/118139

DJ Google, Sprint Pact Could Heat Up Wireless War

,----[ Quote ]
| Wallsten, however, argued it is unclear their network will be truly open. "It
| doesn't seem consistent with Google's claims for open access and net
| neutrality," he said. "Clearly Google is going to benefit from this, and it
| will be easier to use (Google) than Yahoo" or other rival services.
`----

http://biznes.onet.pl/5,1579741,wiadomosci.html

AT&T slams Google over open-access wireless proposal

,----[ Quote ]
| AT&T has asked Capitol Hill not to enable an open nationwide wireless
| spectrum, claiming that Google's lobbying of such a network is a bid by the
| search giant to obtain broadband airwaves at bargain-basement prices.
`----

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=B592E3C6-E5F3-4ECA-93C1-3A5A3392024A

Musicians' copyright pleas fall on deaf ears

,----[ Quote ]
| The music industry has reacted with outrage to the government's rejection of
| pleas to extend the period musicians get royalties from their tracks beyond
| the current 50 years.
`----

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2133762,00.html

Announcing the Open Library

,----[ Quote ]
| Early this year, when I left my job at Wired Digital, I thought I could look
| forward to months of lounging around San Francisco, reading books on the
| beach and drinking fine champagne and eating foie gras. Then I got a phone
| call. Brewster Kahle of the Internet Archive was thinking of pursuing a
| project that I'd been trying to do literally for years.
|
| [...]
|
| So today I'm extraordinarily proud to announce the Open Library project. Our
| goal is to build the world's greatest library,
`----

http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/openlibrary

Berkman Center and CALI Partner to Create New Legal Education Resource

,----[ Quote ]
| “We are looking forward to renewing a fruitful relationship with Harvard Law
| School through the Legal Education Commons project, which will provide
| innovative tools and access to open-licensed course materials to our more
| than 200 member law schools” said CALI Executive Director John Mayer.
`----

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/home/newsroom/pressreleases/berkman_center_and_cali_partner_to_create_new_legal_education_resource

Wikipedia Founder Joins EC Open Access Campaign

,----[ Quote ]
| Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales said he signed a petition calling
| on the European Commission to give the public open access to
| taxpayer-funded scientific research because it was "simple and
| obvious" that the public should have access to research they
| had funded. "Public money should result in public benefit,"
| he added.

Google Custom Search

,----[ Quote ]
| Guha was able to help me understand the significance of the recent
| announcement with the Hewlett Foundation of the Open Educational Resources
| search portal.
|
| [...]
|
| For example, a MIT implementation of the OE Search portal could choose to
| boost mit.edu sites, providing higher visibility for MIT's OpenCourseWare
| offerings.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/09/custom_search_d.html

Push for open access to research

,----[ Quote ]
| "Cancer patients seeking information on new treatments or parents
| searching for the latest on childhood development issues were often
| denied access to the research they indirectly fund through their
| taxes"

Elsevier duo say the future is open

,----[ Quote ]
`----