Re: [News] eWeek is Impressed by OpenOffice.org 2.3

* DFS fired off this tart reply:

> Linonut wrote:
>

>> Anyway, the new interface has one big-ass defect shared by the older
>> interfaces, at least for me.
>>
>> It takes up too much goddam screen real-estate.
>
> Not so much an issue if you work at a high-res, but I like to work at
> 1024x768, and the Ribbon is way big.

I work at high res (1920x1200x2 monitors at work, and roughly
1440x900x2 monitors at home), and screen real-estate is still precious
to me.

>> The user should mostly have to type.  But, with Word (and OpenOffice),
>> they also have to select text, find things to click, and keep doing it
>> until it looks like the format they want.
>
> What's wrong with that?  That's how you get nice-looking documents that are
> easier to read and understand.

Yes, but it is easier in something like LyX.

In the craze for GUI-friendliness, the main purpose of document creation
has been lost, as well as the ease-of-use.  Now much more time is wasted
trying to format text /that/ /should/ /be/ /autoformatting/.

>> Talk about a major step backward from word processors such as LyX!
>
> If you like it, I'm sure I won't (downloading/installing it now).  The worst
> apps I've tried on Linux are slrn, mutt and vim - and you love them all.

You know why, DFS?  Because you've become so accustomed to
point-and-click that you've lost the ability to touch type.

(To be fair, having to move your hand to a mouse definitely makes it a
lot harder to touch type.)

Right now, the only people I know of that are still hep to the speed and
power of TeX-based systems are hard-science scientists, scientific
journals, and a few dozen authors of technical books, who typeset their
books themselves.

--
Tux rox!