[News] [Rival] Microsoft Virtually 'Bribes' Business to Adopt OOXML

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Virtually 'Bribes' Business to Adopt OOXML
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 05:27:18 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
SaaS and OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| I am doing some corporate research these days to understand what it would
| mean if an entire company of 10,000+ employees chose to migrate to OOXML. OK,
| OK, I know ODF would probably be a better choice, but there are big bucks and
|                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| corporate "friendships" involved here, so it runs out of favour.
`----

http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?joel.3.569345

Open Documents and Democracy: A Political Basis for Open Document Standards”
[PDF].

http://isp.law.yale.edu/static/papers/Open_Documents_and_Democracy.pdf

| Just yesterday I was sitting in the relevant meeting of SNV/UK14
| (http://www.snv.ch/), that decides how Switzerland will vote. The
| chairman (Hans-Rudolf Thomann) explained the following rules:
|
| - we are here to create standards, not to reject them
| - if we reach consensus (>=75%) to vote for Microsoft, we will vote
|   for Microsoft
| - if we only reach a majority (>=50%) to vote for Microsoft, we
|   will vote for Microsoft
| - if we reach a majority to vote against Microsoft, we will vote
|   for Microsoft
| - if we reach consensus to vote against Microsoft, we will abstain
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-15521/swiss-cheese

Microsoft’s secretive standards orgs in Former Yugoslavia

,----[ Quote ]
| Croatian laws keep its national body’s votes secret, so the only way for the
| Croatian public to find out how the process went would be if a board member
| illegally leaked information out of CSI. This is, of course, unlikely to
| happen. And the Serbian national standardization body is not officially
| formed, so those two votes were easy for Microsoft, and probably not only
| ones around the globe.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/092407-ooxml.html?page=1

Microsoft Tech Ed 2007: OpenXML

,----[ Quote ]
| He was asked "Why did Microsoft push OOXML through the "Fast Track" process
| instead of the standard ISO process? Wouldn't they get less resistance than
| faced now?"
|
| His response was very frank: "Office is a USD$10 billion revenue generator
| for the company. When ODF was made an ISO standard, Microsoft had to react
| quickly as certain governments have procurement policies which prefer ISO
| standards. Ecma and OASIS are 'international standards', but ISO is the
| international 'Gold Standard'. Microsoft therefore had to rush this standard
| through. Its a simple matter of commercial interests!"
`----            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2007/09/microsoft-tech-.html

Evidence of Microsoft Influencing OOXML Votes in Nordic States

,----[ Quote ]
| "This is how a standard is bought," Bosson wrote later. "I left the meeting
| in protest - pissed off."
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Evidence_of_Microsoft_Influencing_OOXML_Votes_in_Nordic_States/1188335569

Microsoft Memo to Partners in Sweden Surfaces: Vote Yes for OOXML - Updated

,----[ Quote ]
| He acknowledges that the rules might need to be changed.

The OOXML Problem

,----[ Quote ]
| Another thing, by introducing a "new fancy" document format, MS can hold a
| tighter grip round existing customers and get more on the false pretence that
| they've "opened up".
`----

http://phun-ky.net/2007/08/the-ooxml-problem

Rejecting OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| All the CIOs say they want is XML documents; unfortunately they aren't as
| aware as Georg Greve, above, that Microsoft's implementation of XML is
| exceedingly half-hearted.
`----

http://fussnotes.typepad.com/plexnex/2007/08/rejecting-ooxml.html

[Mandriva CEO:] An open letter to Steve Ballmer

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow! I’m impressed, Steve! What have you done for these guys to change their
| mind like this? It’s pretty clear to me, and it will be clear to everyone.
| How do you call what you just did Steve, in the place where you live? In my
| place, they give it various names, I’m sure you know them.
|
| Hey Steve, how do you feel looking at yourself in the mirror in the morning?
|
| Of course, I will keep fighting this one and the next one, and the next one.
| You have the money, the power, and maybe we have a different sense of ethics
| you and I, but I believe that hard work, good technology and ethics can win
| too.
`----

http://blog.mandriva.com/2007/10/31/an-open-letter-to-steve-ballmer/

Lessons from Africa: How to Kill Your Own FUD

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-11-09-030-26-OP-MD-MS