[News] Converge in Linux Foreseen

The Convenient Fiction of Distributions

,----[ Quote ]
| I am increasingly convinced all of the arguments between Linux distributions
| are going to become moot very soon. If they aren't there already.
|
| Not that I have anything against diversity, mind you. I have (and will)
| actively support the right to create and use any Linux distribution you want.
| My concern is, I think the distributions are becoming so similar in their
| construction, and the differences between them so subtle, the whole notion of
| distribution superiority is completely moot.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-11-30-020-26-OP-CY-SW

Yesterday:

Google's Android: A Shot in the Arm for Mobile Linux? ABI Research Answers

,----[ Quote ]
| "Android provides a ready-made ecosystem of vendors, carriers, and software
| developers that could provide enormous economy-of-scale right from the
| start," explains Stuart Carlaw, ABI Research director.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS34522+30-Nov-2007+BW20071130

Related:

The distro jungle

,----[ Quote ]
| People who are new to Linux are often confused by the large number of
| distributions to choose from. The good news is that you can safely ignore
|                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| most of them. This article helps you choose a distribution for getting
| started with your Linux exploration—and helps you understand just what
| it is you've just chosen.
`----

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-linux-distros/?S_TACT=105AGX59&S_CMP=GR&ca=dgr-btw01distrojungle

[compiz] update on xdevconf07 and beryl situation

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/compiz/2007-February/001413.html