[News] A Call for More American Schools to Embrace GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] A Call for More American Schools to Embrace GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 06:46:47 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Embracing PCLinuxOS and Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| As other countries embrace free, open source software (like Austrian schools
| learning how to use OpenOffice), especially GNU/Linux distributions on the
| desktop as alternatives to Windows/Mac, the burning question is, how long
| before the USA catches on?
|
| [...]
|
| Maybe another question to ask is, how fast can we honestly expect schools to
| change so that they can simply take advantage of this? And, as they drop all
| the extra software license agreements they've been carrying around, where
| will that money go and how will it be spent? How can educators get it focused
| on where it's needed most?
`----

http://www.edsupport.cc/mguhlin/archives/2007/12/entry_4061.htm

America will be the last one to switch, due to lobbyists (and the rest of that
ilk).

Related:

'Open Minds' want Linux and open source in American schools

,----[ Quote ]
| Many other countries are turning to Linux and open-source for their
| school-house computer needs, and now there's a conference for those who want
| to bring it to schools in the U.S.

Open source booming in K-12 education

,----[ Quote ]
| An eSchools report (right) says open source spending is growing 70% per year,
| and will be up 800% in 2011 from last year’s level.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1376

U.S. schools may join inexpensive laptop project

,----[ Quote ]
| A project that aims to deliver low-priced laptops with string pulleys
| to the world's poorest children may have a new market: U.S. schools.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN2642385520070426

Birmingham might buy thousands of XO Laptop computers for students in grades
one through eight

,----[ Quote ]
| The machines don't run Microsoft Office, Photoshop or any other standard Mac
| or Windows programs, instead using a free, open-source version of GNU/Linux,
| with a simplified graphical interface designed for children called Sugar. The
| laptop has a 500-megahertz processor and 256 megabytes of DRAM (dynamic
| random access memory) with 1 gigabyte of flash memory. The laptops have Web
| browsers and their own Wi-Fi system, the ability to connect to the Internet
| wirelessly. Each is on a "mesh network," meaning all the laptops can see each
| other, without any setup, even if there is no wireless connection nearby.
`----

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/news/1195463987242670.xml&coll=2&thispage=1

Linux being launched at schools

,----[ Quote ]
| Besides the operating system the package is to comprise some freely
| distributed programs, close to MS Office by their functionality, which are to
| be used on computers with the following characteristics: 233 MHz and 128MB
| DDR.
`----

http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2007/10/25/272200

Russian Linux (ALTLinux) to be installed in every school in Russia

,----[ Quote ]
| Russian OS is to be installed on every school computer in Russia by 2009.
| Furthermore, every pupil will get the opportunity to operate the applied
| software produced in Russia, Leonid Reiman, acting Minister of Communication
| stated at a press conference. According to Mr. Reiman, that might
| significantly reduce Russian dependence on foreign software.
`----

http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2007%2F09%2F14%2F266177

Kubuntu Takes Over the Canary Islands

,----[ Quote ]
| The Canary Islands have two derivatives of Kubuntu, one which is being
| installed in all their schools and one used by the largest university.
`----

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/1142

All Macedonian students to use Linux desktops

,----[ Quote ]
| NComputing announced this week that its multi-user virtual desktop software
| and low-cost virtual PC terminals will be used to equip every school child in
| the Republic of Macedonia, formerly part of Yugoslavia, with a Linux desktop.

CICT to computerize 320 public high schools

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/infotech/view_article.php?article_id=95414