[News] Another Bright Outlook for Mobile Linux

  • Subject: [News] Another Bright Outlook for Mobile Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 06:43:42 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Smartphones Now: Linux Phones

,----[ Quote ]
| That said, the SDKs will be out there and the platforms will be publicized
| and scrutinized, and the phones that do eventually come out will be powerful
| and versatile. And with the smartphone portion of the market growing as well,
| we’ll be seeing flagship devices with all the capabilities of smartphones
| today, but adding the flexibility of an open platform. Expect the big phone
| manufacturers to all try their hand with Linux handhelds to test the water -
| and if their success here is anything like their success around the world,
| they’ll be an established market force by this time next year.
`----

http://www.crunchgear.com/2007/12/19/smartphones-now-linux-phones/

Recent:

Will Access become DoCoMo's Linux platform?

,----[ Quote ]
| So will Access become DoCoMo's Linux platform? We believe that although this
| collaboration is in its early stages there is a good chance that DoCoMo will
| adopt ALP because it solves a number of key issues currently burdening DoCoMo
| and its handset suppliers using a vendor that it has had a successful
| relationship with.
`----

http://www.ovum.com/news/euronews.asp?id=6472

Linux phone stack vendor wins big in Japan

,----[ Quote ]
| The deal could see the Access Linux Platform (ALP) serving as a common OS
| platform for NEC, Panasonic, and Esteemo phones sold by NTT DoCoMo and other
| mobile carriers.
`----

http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS3265888001.html

Linux set for more handsets in 2008-Torvalds

,----[ Quote ]
| But last month Web search leader Google said it would offer a software
| platform, built on Linux, to make the Internet work as smoothly on mobile
| phones as it does on computers.
|
| "I haven't been personally involved but it certainly looks like 2008 may be,
| thanks to the Google Alliance, one of the years you will find more widely
| available phones with Linux," Torvalds told Reuters in an interview on
| Friday.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/technology-media-telco-SP/idUSL1478887720071214

Related:

Linux mobile phone stack vendors align

,----[ Quote ]
| MontaVista and Access have pledged to work together to produce a version of
| MontaVista's Linux-based mobile phone operating system optimized for Access's
| mobile phone software application and middleware stack.

Open Mobile Alliance to Support Mobile Linux Handsets

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Phone Standards (LiPS) Forum says has established a formal liaison
| and framework for cooperation between the Open Mobile Alliance (OMA) and
| LiPS. In particular, LiPS delivers specifications and standards for services
| and user applications on Linux-based telephony platforms, and OMA develops
| open specifications for mobile content and services.
`----

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/26100.php

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
| didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
| the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
| numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
| handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said.

Google's mobile move: awe-inspiring and terrifying

,----[ Quote ]
| It is also another awe-inspiring -- or terrifying, depending on one's
| perspective -- display of the engineering and business resources Google can
| unleash and of the power it has to influence, disrupt and rearrange markets.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20071106/tc_infoworld/93133

Google spending hundreds of millions on mobile

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/articleinvesting.aspx?type=media&storyID=nN02242073