[News] Free Software Sets New Records, Makes Good Businesses

  • Subject: [News] Free Software Sets New Records, Makes Good Businesses
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 06:22:21 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Asterisk Hits One Million Downloads

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes, that is “One million!”
|
| This is a staggering number, given that we’re talking about a product which
| most people use as a PBX. This just shows the incredible need for Asterisk,
| the software brainchild of Mark Spencer.
`----

http://opensourcepbx.tmcnet.com/topics/applications/articles/16906-asterisk-hits-one-million-downloads.htm

New Report Discusses Google Android and Funambol Open Source Impact on Mass
Market for Mobile Email

,----[ Quote ]
| Funambol, the leading provider of Mobile 2.0 messaging software powered by
| open source, today announced the availability of a free Funambol position
| paper entitled "How Google Android Stimulates the Mass Market for Mobile
| Email and how Funambol Mobile Open Source Monetizes It".
`----

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/news_press_release,245354.shtml

It's AGPLv3 for Funambol.

Don Christie Co-Director of Catalyst IT

,----[ Quote ]
| It would be fair to say that Catalyst IT has achieved its goal of becoming
| New Zealand’s pre-eminent open source solutions provider – it employs more
| than 80 staff, counts some of the country’s largest companies as clients and
| this year organised the inaugural Open Source Awards in Wellington.
`----

http://m-net.net.nz/2130/articles/executive-interviews/don-christie-co-director-catalyst-it.php

Mentioned before:

OSS Discovery Tool tracks open source app use in enterprise

,----[ Quote ]
| Free software is designed to determine which applications are gaining
| traction
`----

http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/home/News.asp?id=46427&cid=11

Related:

Funambol CEO Fabrizio Capobianco: Linux Is Mobile's Future

,----[ Quote ]
| LinuxInsider met with Capobianco to discuss his view on the role of open
| source in creating Mobile 2.0 as a voice and data carrier parallel to the
| Internet. The meeting occurred in the wake of Google's announcement earlier
| this month that it was negotiating with wireless carriers, handset makers,
| software developers and hardware providers to use an open source mobile
| platform, Android.
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/60340.html

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
| didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
| the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
| numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
| handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said.

Digium preps Asterisk Linux distribution

,----[ Quote ]
| "We developed our own GUI [which is] similar to Trixbox [distribution],
| but the purpose of AsteriskNow is to provide a distribution built
| around Asterisk technology so people can use it without the GUI," he
| said. "The GUI is the same as the Asterisk Appliance that looks
| like a Linksys router that runs Asterisk and has analogue ports."
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;1047335524;fp;2;fpid;1

Linux dominating VoIP devices?

,----[ Quote ]
| Trolltech says its development framework and software stack for mobile
| devices was selected by Skype as the preferred platform for Skype-certified
| VoIP (voice-over-IP) phones. Additionally, the Qtopia framework/stack has
| been used in about 40 VoIP devices, making it the "dominant Linux
| development platform for VoIP/WiFi devices," according to Trolltech.

Digium Takes Best of Open Source Software Award

`----

http://www.voip-news.com/blog/20070918/digium-takes-best-of-open-source-software-award/