[News] Dell Makes Its GNU/Linux Desktop PCs Even More Consumer Friendly

  • Subject: [News] Dell Makes Its GNU/Linux Desktop PCs Even More Consumer Friendly
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 05:22:03 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Dell announces Ubuntu 7.10 PCs with DVD playback

,----[ Quote ]
| It has long been possible to play DVDs on Linux. However, with most Linux
| distributions, it is necessary to manually enable this functionality. That is
| because while the user may legally own both the DVD he or she is trying to
| play and the computer it's being played on, in the United States, enabling
| open-source-based operating systems to play commercial DVDs, with their wide
| variety of DRM (digital rights management) schemes, is something of a legal
| swamp. There are legal ways around this, and presumably Dell has invested in
| one of them.

What does he mean by "invested"? With Dell joining the Novell/Microsoft deal,
will there gradually be software patent tax also?

Related:

The New Dell Ends its First Year

,----[ Quote ]
| Cole is satisfied with Dell equipment, but said the company needs to show
| more support for open-source applications and the Linux OS. "It's clear that
| Dell cares about Linux, in that all their server-class hardware is
| well-supported by the Linux kernel and they have many people dedicated to
| making sure that's the case. However, it's not good enough just to boot,"
| Cole said.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/140586/the_new_dell_ends_its_first_year.html

Dell's Latitude XT convertible laptop ready to ship

,----[ Quote ]
| In China, it will ship with the Red Flag Linux OS.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20071207/tc_infoworld/93910

Dell beefs up Precision portable workstation line

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell is adding more power to its high-end line of mobile workstations with
| the debut of the Precision M6300, a 17" notebook geared at engineers,
| developers, video editors and others who need to tote around some serious
| silicon.
|
| [...]
|
| RedHat Linux 5.1 will be available on the system in October.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/04/dell_precision_m6300/

Linux for Consumers in the U.K. France, and Germany; Dell/Red Hat Solutions &
More

,----[ Quote ]
| I hinted at this before, but today, it's official: Dell announced that
| consumers in the United Kingdom, France and Germany can order an Inspiron
| 6400 notebook or an Inspiron 530N desktop with Ubuntu 7.04 pre-installed.
`----

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/08/07/23816.aspx

Dell pushes for better Linux drivers

,----[ Quote ]
| Amit Bhutani told a session at the Ubuntu Live 2007 conference that Dell has
| several "areas of investigation" when it comes to Linux.
`----

http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CIID=87745&src=site-marq

Michael Dell: Linux Coming to SMBs, Europe Soon

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2156607,00.asp#471376266180320785