[News] Motorola Keeps Unleashing New Linux Phones

  • Subject: [News] Motorola Keeps Unleashing New Linux Phones
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 22:52:40 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Motorola to introduce next-generation Linux-based Ming handsets in 2Q08

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola plans to launch its next-generation Linux-based "Ming" handsets in
| the second quarter of 2008, with the hand input intelligence handsets to be
| available in both high-end and entry-level versions, according to Bill Chen,
| general manager of of mobile device business at Motorola Taiwan. Previously,
| the Ming was released only in a high-end version.
`----

http://www.digitimes.com/telecom/a20071218PB202.html

Related:

Motorola E680 aangeboden

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola in October announced its plans to incorporate next-generation Java
| technologies in future Linux-based mobile phones.
`----

http://tweakers.net/aanbod/advertentie/88050/motorola-e680.html

Motorola sees Linux as its mobile mainstay

,----[ Quote ]
| Cell phones traditionally have used proprietary operating systems, fragmented
| even among one manufacturer's products. Motorola and other vendors have also
| opened up phone platforms through the Java and BREW software environments.
| Linux will help to further expand the community of developers for software,
| which is becoming an increasingly important part of mobile phones, said
| Christy Wyatt, vice president of ecosystem and market development at
| Motorola. The company has shipped about 9 million Linux handsets in the past
| four years and is now extending the OS down from smartphones to midrange
| handsets such as the Razr2.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070808/tc_infoworld/90862

ATCA proponents look to open up software features

,----[ Qupte ]
| Motorola's embedded communications computing group, in particular, is touting
| the adoption of an open-source implementation of the Service Availability
| Forum's Application Interface Spec.
`----

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202404175

Motorola Announces Intention to Form Industry-wide Consortium to Lead OpenSAF
Project

,----[ Quote ]
| The company also announced the first release of the open source code
| related to the project. The consortium also will manage any future
| development of the OpenSAF code base. Leading companies including
| Ericsson, HP and Nokia Siemens Networks have expressed support for
| this initiative.
|
| The open source project will establish a broadly adopted high availability
| operating environment that can be leveraged by computing technology
| companies,
`----

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/news_press_release,130782.shtml

Motorola Initiates Industry-wide Project to Create Open Source High
Availability Operating Environment Based on Service Availability Forum
Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola, Inc. today announced it is initiating a new open source
| project to develop a complete high availability operating
| environment based on Service Availability Forum(TM) (SA Forum)
| standards.
|
| ... Combined with ATCA based hardware and a Carrier Grade Linux operating
| system, OpenSAF provides a key high-availability component to complete a
| full carrier grade commercial-off-the-shelf solution.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070228/cgw014.html?.v=88

Motorola touts Linux support for 32-way ATCA blade

,----[ Quote ]
| Some of the first widely available 64-bit chips were based on Alpha,
| and Alpha was the second architecture (after x86) to support Linux,
| back in the mid-90s. Linux founder Linus Torvalds wrote the
| port himself, paving the way for ports to many other
| architectures, which quickly followed.

Open Mobile Alliance to Support Mobile Linux Handsets

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Phone Standards (LiPS) Forum says has established a formal liaison
| and framework for cooperation between the Open Mobile Alliance (OMA) and
| LiPS. In particular, LiPS delivers specifications and standards for services
| and user applications on Linux-based telephony platforms, and OMA develops
| open specifications for mobile content and services.
`----

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/26100.php

Linux Phone Standards Forum and Open Mobile Alliance Create Standardization
Liaison

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/mobile/12096/linux-phone-standards-forum-open-mobile-alliance-create-standardization-liaison

Motorola ships a U.S. Linux mobile phone

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS8917567693.html

,----[ Quote ]