Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Kills ISO, Uses Its Corpse to Buy a Standard

> Microsoft to buy ISO next week before Christmas?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| "There is also a push by Microsoft and others to move ISO toward a "direct
>| participation" model where corporations can participate in ISO directly,
>| bypassing the national body mechanisms altogether. This would essentially
>| turn ISO into a vendor consortium. So it will be interesting to see how this
>| all turns out. To coin a folk aphorism, "In the land of the ugly queen all
>| the mirrors have disappeared.".
> `----
>
> http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-31641/microsoft-to-buy-iso-next-week-before-christmas

This is the end of the road for "industry controlled" standardisation
bodies, I would think.  What is the /point/ of an abusive monopoly
pushing through an unimplementable "standard" which it has no intention
of abiding by itself?

Well, the same as announcing vapourware - to stop customers from moving
to the competition.  The whole action is reprehensible and one wonders
if it's not in fact illegal as an abuse of monopoly power.