Re: Linux/OSS hypocrites: poor adherence to web markup standards

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut
<linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 18 Dec 2007 11:55:13 -0500
<uTS9j.24716$N67.3568@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> * DFS fired off this tart reply:
>
>> Richard Rasker wrote:
>>
>>> You forgot one:
>>>
>>> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/ failed w/ 3 errors
>>
>> Talk to angelfire.  Plus I don't rail on about MS 'breaking standards' -
>> because they haven't.
>
> Oh. My. God.
>
> Even Netscape broke HTML standards.

Somebody hasn't been doing his homework.

    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <h:html xmlns:h="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";>
       <h:head>
          <h:title>Welcome To XHTML</h:title>
       </h:head>
       <h:body>
          <h:p>Hello, world!</h:p>
       </h:body>
    </h:html>

provably confuses the hell out of IE, even if one puts

    <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="identity.xsl"?>

after the <?xml?> tag [*].

(Go ahead, DFS.  Try it.  Even IE7 can't handle this
construct.  This has a number of ramifications for XSL
writers, and is very annoying and nonstandard, showing IE
for what it is: an HTML engine that can't yet handle more
sophisticated stuff.)

There's a few other issues, such as <div contenteditable="boolean"/>,
that one can point at as well, although one might be able to wave
that off as an extension.  It's certainly not in the Standard, though.

To be fair, there's a few issues I have with XHTML as it stands,
but I've not looked lately.  One issue is that

    <h:a h:href="..." h:alt="...">link text</h:a>

(assuming xmlns:h as above) should work as expected, but most
people write it as

    <h:a href="..." alt="...">link text</h:a>

and it is far from clear to me whether the attributes
inherit the namespace of the element or not.

Another issue is an implementation bug in Xalan, a popular
package in the freeware world.  This bug manifests by generating
an unclosed <META> tag if the top element of the document is
<HTML> with the requisite namespace -- even if the stylesheet
requests <xsl:output method="xml">.  (It is possible this has
been fixed by now.)

But neither of these issues excuses IE's bad behavior.

[*] identity.xsl can be written by looking at the XSL 1.0 spec.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
/dev/signature: Not a text file