[News] Google Explains Why Microsoft is Anti-Standards

  • Subject: [News] Google Explains Why Microsoft is Anti-Standards
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 07:35:14 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Exec: Google is a 'Native Web Speaker'

,----[ Quote ]
| Programming for the Web is, of course, an entirely different culture than
| programming for a single software platform, and Gundotra has taken to the new
| culture with all the zeal of a convert. "The previous platform I was
| responsible for evangelizing helped one company. The Web helps all of
| mankind," he said.
|
| Gundotra demurred when asked if Microsoft just doesn't get Web development.
| He said some companies are native Web speakers, while others speak Web with a
| heavy accent.

Reigniting the browser wars

,----[ Quote ]
| Alex Russell calls for a return to the browser wars, citing (among other
| things) the stagnancy of the W3C as a part of the problem, with the argument
| that browser makers are the ones who can innovate and they’re being prevented
| from doing so by a slavish insistence on “standards”. Meanwhile, Andy Clarke
| calls for the current W3C CSS Working Group to be immediately disbanded,
| Opera file an antitrust complaint against Microsoft, the HTML5 spec removes a
| recommendation for non-patent-encumbered video formats after pressure from
| Nokia and Apple, and all the old fights start up again. Fire and brimstone
| coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling. Forty years of darkness.
| Earthquakes, volcanoes. The dead rising from the grave. Human sacrifice, dogs
| and cats living together. Mass hysteria.
`----

http://www.kryogenix.org/days/2007/12/17/reigniting-the-browser-wars

Yesterday:

Browser Wars Redux: Don't Touch That Meme

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft broke Netscape's power by breaking Web standards: it constantly
| added new, non-standard features to Internet Explorer so that Web sites
| written to utilise them would not be rendered properly by Netscape. Since
| Microsoft owned the desktop then as now, and since Internet Explorer was
| bundled with it, the company could be sure that its standards would be
| supported over anything that Netscape tried to introduce. Gradually more and
| more sites appeared sub-standard when viewed on Netscape, forcing people
| either to move to Internet Explorer or run two browsers in parallel,
| reinforcing Microsoft's features yet further.
|
| It was only once Internet Explorer succeeded in ousting Netscape Navigator as
| the dominant browser that Microsoft called a halt to the campaign. In fact,
| it not only stopped adding new twists, it stopped innovating at all for
| years.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=285&blogid=14

Related:

Halloween Memo I Confirmed and Microsoft's History on Standards

,----[ Quote ]
|  By the way, if you are by any chance trying to figure out Microsoft's policy
|  toward standards, particularly in the context of ODF-EOXML, that same
|  Microsoft page is revelatory, Microsoft's answer to what the memo meant when
|  it said that Microsoft could extend standard protocols so as to deny
|  Linux "entry into the market":
|
|    Q: The first document talked about extending standard protocols as a way
|    to "deny OSS projects entry into the market." What does this mean?
|
|    A: To better serve customers, Microsoft needs to innovate above standard
|    protocols. By innovating above the base protocol, we are able to deliver
|    advanced functionality to users. An example of this is adding
|    transactional support for DTC over HTTP. This would be a value-add and
|    would in no way break the standard or undermine the concept of standards,
|    of which Microsoft is a significant supporter. Yet it would allow us to
|    solve a class of problems in value chain integration for our Web-based
|    customers that are not solved by any public standard today. Microsoft
|    recognizes that customers are not served by implementations that are
|    different without adding value; we therefore support standards as the
|    foundation on which further innovation can be based.

Gates Deposition Audio and Video

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.groklaw.net/staticpages/index.php?page=GatesDepo