Re: [News] Antitrust: EU Commission ensures 2004 Decision compliance against Microsoft

Mark Kent wrote:
> High Plains Thumper <highplainsthumper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> High Plains Thumper on Sunday:

>> I think that thin clients are the wave of the future.  Thick
>> clients have always been a liability except for those who require
>> intensive local desktop computing power and data rates, like CAD,
>> laboratory analysis and simulations.
>>
>> By being on a server makes backups a whole lot easier.  Patch
>> management and software upgrades are simplified.  Client goes
>> dead?  Swap out with another, set-up is minimal.
>>
>> This type scenario also can be used to bring new life into older
>> PC's.
>
> Total virtualisation has to be the best way forward, but it does require
> an entirely different economic model than we have at the moment.  Who
> will pay for all the CPU cycles on some central machine?  Who will pay
> for the bandwidth between?  How will billing be performed?  How can one
> uniquely identify someone using a Nokia 810 or an Asus Eee and sharing
> processing power?
>
> Unfortunately, I suspect that the shared cycle theory could be too
> utopian to be practical, at least in our present environment.

I was referring to local area networks, not Wide-net services.

The thin clients off a client server makes sense for multi-client
desktops.  It holds promise for a home user who uses out-of-date clients
to provide connectivity, let's say for every bedroom and living or den.

Take a corporate work environment.  Having to manage 20 servers, say for
400 thin client desktops means reducing infrastructure management to 20
instead of 400+ hosts (clients plus servers).  A 4,000 thin client desktop
base then would mean 200 servers, which is definitely easier to manage
than 4,000 thick clients.

--
HPT