Re: [News] Canonical Launches New Software Called 'Bazaar'

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Fri, 14 Dec 2007 22:30:37 +0000
<1902055.lYR57dcCRL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Friday 14 December 2007 19:47 : \____
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut
>> <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Fri, 14 Dec 2007 10:47:25 -0500
>> <wwx8j.22122$_m.5686@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> * Roy Schestowitz fired off this tart reply:

>>> You can get a rough idea of how Bazaar compares to other version-control
>>> systems here:
>>>
>>>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_revision_control_software
>>>
>>> It used to bug me that it was written in Python, but having studied
>>> Python lately, I think the language is quite up to this task (if you're
>>> asking me, which if I know what you think and I think I do, you're not,
>>> but I don't care <grin>).
>>>

>> Python is extremely capable but I can't say I'm all
>> that familiar with it; however, it sports a rich,
>> extensible API and a packaging scheme similar to Java's,
>> and probably more logically implemented, as far as the
>> API goes.  I don't know how flexible Python is regarding
>> the package-to-physical file mapping (by default,
>> Java changes e.g. com.mycompany.package to the subpath
>> com/mycompany/package, but this is modifiable by replacing
>> the ClassLoader; I don't know the details offhand, and I
>> don't think a lot of people bother).
>
> At first I worried that Bazaar would be proprietary like Launchpad, but it
> seems like it's GPLed (based on a separate article).

Gods, I don't know.  Every time I turn around someone
introduces Yet Another piece of GPLed software into the
mix; part of the problem I personally have with FOSS is
just keeping track of everything. :-)  (CVS, Subversion,
and now Bazaar.)

But if Bazaar has GPLed their stuff, kudos to them.
It gives users the option of compiling it themselves
(assuming Bazaar hasn't screwed things up too horribly)
if Bazaar goes belly-up.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Murphy was an optimist.