Re: [News] Canonical Launches New Software Called 'Bazaar'

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Friday 14 December 2007 19:47 : \____

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut
> <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Fri, 14 Dec 2007 10:47:25 -0500
> <wwx8j.22122$_m.5686@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> * Roy Schestowitz fired off this tart reply:
>>
>>> Canonical releases Version 1.0 of 'Bazaar' version control tool
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS7185318863.html
>>
>> You can get a rough idea of how Bazaar compares to other version-control
>> systems here:
>>
>>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_revision_control_software
>>
>> It used to bug me that it was written in Python, but having studied
>> Python lately, I think the language is quite up to this task (if you're
>> asking me, which if I know what you think and I think I do, you're not,
>> but I don't care <grin>).
>>

> Python is extremely capable but I can't say I'm all
> that familiar with it; however, it sports a rich,
> extensible API and a packaging scheme similar to Java's,
> and probably more logically implemented, as far as the
> API goes.  I don't know how flexible Python is regarding
> the package-to-physical file mapping (by default,
> Java changes e.g. com.mycompany.package to the subpath
> com/mycompany/package, but this is modifiable by replacing
> the ClassLoader; I don't know the details offhand, and I
> don't think a lot of people bother).

At first I worried that Bazaar would be proprietary like Launchpad, but it
seems like it's GPLed (based on a separate article).

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Reclaim your workstation - install GNU/Linux today
Mem:    515500k total,   449988k used,    65512k free,     1324k buffers