Re: Fed up with MS; ready to take take the linux plunge

____/ Handover Phist on Wednesday 12 December 2007 21:31 : \____

> Dr H :
>>
>> Thanks to everyone who responded.
>>
>> Looks like a majority vote for Debian, with some strong plugs for
>> XUbuntu and PClinuxos.
>>
>> I guess the question now is, how much of a pain is it to migrate
>> from one flavor of linux to another?
>
> If you make a separate partition for your /home directory, migration can
> be relatively painless. You can replace the system with another flavour
> and all program settings and files created by you are safely stashed
> away im /home/$USER.
>
> You might actually be a bit impressed at how well this works.

I agree. You can move from one distribution to another without feeling as
though you have. You just graft your home directory from one distro to another
(or leave it as-is). The program 'know' where to file your data files,
preferences, etc. If you use programs like Firefox and Thunderbird, then
everything is transparent (distribution or O/S is irrelevant). If you move
between Xfce, GNOME, KDE and other desktop environments (don't worry too much
about it), there might be bits of work to do, but not much. Mozilla
applications are a safe bet if you move from one O/S to another.

>> Because a good course of action would seem to be for me to start out
>> with one of the "easier" versions like XUbuntu, play around with that
>> for a while to familiarize myself with the OS, and then eventually
>> move on to Debian.
>
> Since the machine you want to run on is 1.3Mhz, you might want to bump
> the ram up to 256 and just go for Debian.

I'm not entirely sure about Debian for a Linux beginner, based on what I've
read in quite a few places. To simplify things, Xubuntu is essentially Debian
with some tweaks (Canonical's patches) and Xfce already installed at the top.
It's like 'no assembly required'.

> Is your vidoe proc onboard or on a card? If you have a card then life
> should be really good. Onboard and it'll just be sorta good ;). Dont let
> the command line scare you, especially if you opt for the Network
> install.
>
> The way it works is you can download and burn the network install iso,
> then hook the machine up tou your high speed
> modem/router/switch/whatever, and follow the bouncing ball. Only the
> needed packages will be downloaded and installed.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Free the mind, the source will follow"
 10:00:01 up 3 days, 22:48,  3 users,  load average: 0.45, 1.07, 1.21