[News] Yahoo Makes Symbolic Donation to Apache, Sun Donates Gates

  • Subject: [News] Yahoo Makes Symbolic Donation to Apache, Sun Donates Gates
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 09:57:58 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Apache gains Yahoo! sponsorship

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo! has become a platinum sponsor of the Apache Software Foundation, which
| supports the Apache web server and other open source projects.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15792/1054/

The opportunities revealed by Sun's open-source CPU

,----[ Quote ]
| In a New York City press conference held to roll out Sun's Niagara 1 servers
| back in 2005, then-Sun CEO Scott McNealy pointed to plans by Sun to build
| a "community of developers" around the new servers, which were capable of
| running Linux on top of Sun's own Solaris operating system.
|
| Because Sun leveraged its OpenSparc Initiative to release the processor code,
| the community that McNealy mentioned turned out to include hardware as well
| as application software developers.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/The_opportunities_revealed_by_Suns_opensource_CPU/1197583683

It's still a PR charade, at least initially.

Related:

Sun CEO: "Proprietary"...did more damage to sun than any market downturn

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun has discovered the exact same thing. Freedom sells. Or, rather,
| services around freedom sell. The freedom itself is, well, free.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/04/sun_ceo_proprie.html

"Save a Penguin, Unplug a Linux Server" May Win Most-Flamable E-Mail Award

,----[ Quote ]
| I just got an e-mail from Sun which is probably the largest violation
| of L. Ron Hubbard's Survey tech that I've ever seen. It was an e-mail
| with the title of, "Save a Penguin - Unplug a Linux Server Today".
`----

http://jetteroheller.wordpress.com/2007/05/03/save-a-penguin-unplug-a-linux-server-may-win-most-flamable-e-mail-award/

Sun bullied, used threats to gain control of open source project, former owner
says

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun used strong-arm tactics and made threats to the owners of an open-source
| directory project to wrestle away control, according to one of the former
| owners and creators of the project.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/112907-sun-opends.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Yahoo Betrays Free Speech

,----[ Quote ]
| For a company that ostensibly believes in the Internet’s liberating power,
| Yahoo has a gallingly backward understanding of the value of free expression.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/02/opinion/02sun2.html?_r=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin

Yahoo! Answers is rejecting Open-Source options in answers

,----[ Quote ]
| Someone got a computer from a friend that has some serious problems
| with Windows. S/he has none of the disks (XP or restore) and was
| asking for recommendations.
|
| [...]
|
| How is recommending freely available and legal alternatives abuse?
| ImgBurn is also a perfectly legal program, so are Ubuntu and Kubuntu
| (they're Linux).
`----

http://amandakerik.wordpress.com/2007/04/23/yahoo-answers-is-rejecting-open-source-options-in-answers/
http://tinyurl.com/ywglv7

Yahoo settles lawsuit with jailed Chinese journalists

,----[ Quote ]
| Smith sponsored the Global Online Freedom Act of 2007, which would prohibit
| U.S. Internet companies from cooperating with repressive regimes on censoring
| the Internet and using Internet user account data to track down and punish
| pro-democracy activists.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9815950-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Yahoo Settles With Imprisoned Chinese Journalists

,----[ Quote ]
| Terms of the deal are secret, but Yahoo has reached settlements with two
| Chinese journalists who were arrested based on information the company
| provided to the ruling Communist government.
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/13/2031243&from=rss

Report: Yahoo exec apologizes to U.S. lawmakers on China

,----[ Quote ]
| A senior executive at Yahoo has apologized for misleading U.S. lawmakers on
| the company's cooperation with a request by China for details on a journalist
| who was later jailed, The Wall Street Journal reported on Friday in its
| online edition.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6216579.html

Yahoo helped China falsely imprison dissident

.----[ Quote ]
| U.S. House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Tom Lantos, D-Calif.,
| said on Oct. 16 Yahoo misled his panel at a 2006 hearing about the
| company's role in providing the Chinese government with information
| that sent journalist Shi Tao to jail for a decade.
|
| [...]
|
| "Our committee has established that Yahoo provided false
| information to Congress in early 2006," Lantos said in a statement.
| "We want to clarify how that happened, and to hold the company to
| account for its actions both before and after its testimony proved
| untrue."
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2199220,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594

Yahoo!, Microsoft ink web pact with Chinese government

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft and Yahoo! have signed a pact with the Chinese government
| that "encourages" the big name web players to record the identities of
| bloggers and censor content. So says Reporters Without Borders, an
| organization that fights for journalistic rights across the globe.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/24/yahoo_and_microsoft_ink_chinese_blogging_pact/

Microsoft, Yahoo Tailor Ads To Users' Behavior

,----[ Quote ]
| Google will remain on the sidelines — at least for now. But its Web portal
| rivals are stepping up their efforts to use behavioral targeting to make
| display, or banner, ads more relevant to Web site visitors.
`----

http://investors.com/editorial/IBDArticles.asp?artsec=17&issue=20070823

Yahoo in China human rights case

,----[ Quote ]
| A human rights group in the US is suing Yahoo for alleged complicity in
| rights abuses and acts of torture in China.
`----

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6966116.stm

Chinese Internet dissident committed to mental hospital

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/94864/from/rss09