Bill Gates Says Everyone Copies Microsoft

<Quote>
... blogger, Jonathan Snook [accused Microsoft of capitalizing on the
inventions of others] at a small meeting between the online-citizen
journalists of the tech world and the founder/honcho of Microsoft at
the company's headquarters in Redmond, Washington.

This line of questioning...sent the bespectacled founder into a tirade
about how Microsoft does all the stupid things first, and that other
companies, learning from Microsoft's mistakes, are able to build
perfect versions of a particular product or service (and subsequently
get the credit for being innovators).

Gates declared that what Microsoft does is the baseline for the entire
industry, and whatever it doesn't do is the innovation. And by that
definition everyone else is innovating. That's a pretty innovative, if
not a little sarcastic, save/explanation.

But seriously, Gates cites IPTV and tablet computers as two areas in
which Microsoft is leading the pack. "Is anyone else doing tablet
computers?" he asks.

[We understand, but...]

Sure, there are plenty of Microsoft Office and Word clones out there,
but Word was far from the first word processor on the PC. Microsoft's
entry only got copied after it crushed the competition, namely
Wordperfect and Lotus. We racked our brains trying to think of where
other companies had blatantly copied Microsoft and actually came up
empty. If you've got any examples, be sure to leave them in the
comments, in the meantime make sure to check out the gallery below of
Microsoft's other "me too" products and services (including everything
from Zune and Xbox 360 to the original Windows and MSN, which were
inspired by the early Mac OS and the product of our parent company
AOL, respectively).
</Quote>

http://www.switched.com/2007/12/10/peeved-bill-gates-says-everyone-copies-microsoft/

At the end they ask what some readers think.  Here are some responses:

<Quote>
With 25+ years behind me in the technology industries, I can
categorically state that Bill Gates and Microscum Corp are little more
than copy-cats. The only thing I can think of that Microsoft has given
us is "You need a patch" software - which in most cases only created
further problems with MS products.

In any other industry Bill Gates would've been sued (at the very
least) and most likely would be behind prison bars for his theft, and
the tens of billions (if not hundreds of billions) of dollars his
software has cost American industry and individuals. And THAT is how I
earn my living - by fixing Microsoft's O/S (all of them), and fixing
their products too. I suppose I should be thankful, but it's hard when
one is cleaning up after another who is essentially a thief, and a
lousy one at that.....

The world has thanked Bill Gates for his neferious activities by
making him the richest man on earth. We are not required to kiss his
butt for some of the real slimy stuff Microsoft has pulled to get to
where they are.There are thousands of people around who would have
been a great deal better off if Microsoft had not targeted them for
information and knowledge.  [But it's how the world works...]

Thank goodness for Bill Gates and his empire. Without the bugs and
problems that Microsoft's 10's of thousands of engineers create.....
We would be out of the computer support business. I'm sure many other
industries owe him their gratitude also....

I lived in Silicon Valley in 1995 when Windows '95 was unleashed, um,
I mean unveiled. Microsoft hired those rolling billboard trucks to
trumpet their 'innovation' of Windows. Apple, the scrappy, and
superior, competitor, hired smaller trucks that followed the Windows
trucks around. On the Apple trucks was this simple message:
"Congratulations Windows '95, from Apple '89." That tells you all you
need to know about Bill Gates and MS. I own a PC, and will never buy
another. Windows Vista is a frightening product. I am saving my money
for a Mac....

if I am not mistaken MS invented the GUI OS. That is huge. That
changed the world period. [He is mistaken]...

Microsoft stole DOS -- from QDOS. Word is the best of WordPerfect and
Lotus. Vista is an Apple lookalike -- and is a royal pain in the butt
and like the problems with Outlook, the problems will not be solved
for years to come. If Mr. Gates has bought interest in printer
companies -- because Vista works with so few peripherals, it would not
surprise me. Microsoft is not an innovator. It is a tweaker and
marketer. It does both excellently -- but innovation? NO! They use,
steal, or buy out the ideas of others and become the monopoly for the
industry....

You've got to be kidding me! The nerve of some people. The entire
Foundation of MS is built on their breaking down and then copying the
Mac OS when they were under contract to provide programming for the
Mac. The only reason they got away with it was that in that day and
age, Judges for the most part thought computers will still using
vacuum tubes and punch cards and had NO idea what the lawyers were
arguing about!

And of course the lone voices supporting the Gates empire have all the
linguistic sophistication of grubs - and are happy to repeat the BS
coming forth from Bullhead-Ballmer's orifice.

They're not just copycats - they're thieves. The only innovation they
are responsible for is creative theft....

Micro... Who? Seriously Bill Gates is a whiner. I use PC-BSD, Linux
and other desktop and server software whose usability and features far
surpass Microsoft.

Microsoft copied KDE (www.kde.org) for Windows Vista.

Hell, Windows is still a single-user kernel. how stupid is that?

At least Linux and Unix have multiple desktops, much better UI, (See
www.kde.org or www.gnome.org ) and are real multi-user kernels.

I'm in medicine now but I used to design operating systems and it's my
professional opinion as well as my personal opinion that Microsoft is
a waste of time and money....
</Quote>

I'm sure Erik and amicus could refute all the points, but you can't
deny the animus.