Re: [News] Brazil Carries on Buying More GNU/Linux PCs for Education

The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 7
><website_has_email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 02:23:24 GMT
><wwm7j.61027$c_1.27676@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> DFS wrote:

>>> Why don't you prove these stories tally 1 to 2 million new Linux installs
>>> per month?  You won't, and you can't, 'cause they don't.
>>

>> BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!
>> That makes you the liar then.
>> Ausus eee alone is earmarked at 3.8M sales for next year.
>
> Assuming IBM doesn't succeed in its lawsuit:
>
> http://www.sys-con.com/read/472213.htm
>
> Granted, the patents don't even come close to the Eee (unless
> the power supply one has something I don't know about), but
> it's probably going to do nasty things to the Eee's sales.

Another patent attack...  I thought that IBM had always claimed that
their patent portfolio was for defensive purposes - clearly that's no
longer the case.

I would think that every major player will look at everything which is
selling very well and attempt to tax it through a patent portfolio.
This whole approach needs to stop.

>>> You're the only liar (well you and most cola 'advocates').  You're the
>>> ones making up numbers and 'facts' you can't support:
>>>
>>> * Linux is 50x faster than Windows (you and OldTech)
>>> * Dell Ubuntu shipments were 70% of the total (Rex Ballard)
>>> * 20% to 50% of tech users run Linux (we can thank Numbonut for this
>>> howler) * Vista requires 10x to 20x the resources of Linux (Rasker)

>>> Windows is not sold, either.
>>
>> Sorry to correct you here, but Windummy licenses ARE SOLD to windummies.
>>

> I'm not 100% sure about that, mostly because I think the
> "Windummy" is a "Computerdummy" as well, buying a unit
> off-the-shelf that happens to have already-installed
> crap thereon -- with license.
>
> This is hopefully changing, of course, and Vista's, erm,
> slightly less than enthusiastic reception is probably
> making people ask a few interesting questions of their
> salespeople.

"Why don't my games work any more?"
"Why aren't any of my peripherals working any more?"
"Why is it so slow?"
"Why did I buy it anyway?"