[News] OpenID Comes to the Enterprise to Serve the Needs of Free Software

  • Subject: [News] OpenID Comes to the Enterprise to Serve the Needs of Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 06:00:44 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
OpenID Becomes Enterprising

| We've been here before, with operating systems. Back in the days when Unix
| was king, nobody wanted to standardise on someone else's flavour, and we were
| left with myriad Unices, all slightly incompatible. One of the reason that
| GNU/Linux has been adopted so widely is that it offered a neutral, open
| platform that favoured everyone equally. Clearly, then, what we need is a
| neutral, open identity system.
|
| Amazingly, we have one: OpenID.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=252&blogid=14

The Free Software Foundation's "High Priority" List: A Key Guidepost

,----[ Quote ]
| By contrast, the FSF's high priority list is about functionality. Instead of
| obsessing about what people use on other platforms, it pinpoints what is
| still missing in the efforts to build a politically free desktop. This
| emphasis makes it a more accurate indicator of the platform's current state.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3715736

Comparing “open source” projects? Start by asking why does the project exist.

,----[ Quote ]
| I’ve thus far made no mention of OpenDS and the wildfire reporting that has
| ensued, but there was one aspect of this situation I commented on to Stephen
| O’Grady and others on #redmonk when it came out that bugged me. It was a
| question: “how did it ever get to this point?”. How does a company - a profit
| seeking company, not a wild tongued developer - even get into an OpenDS
| situation? I believe the answer is that many people have wrongly assumed that
| the label “open source” indicates a project is disentangled from corporate
| affairs. Let me explain.
`----

http://www.michaeldolan.com/1058

Related: