[News] Big Media and DRM-loving Software Vendor(s) Face Wrath of Customers, Bills Intercepted

  • Subject: [News] Big Media and DRM-loving Software Vendor(s) Face Wrath of Customers, Bills Intercepted
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 05:50:40 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Canadian DMCA Introduction Delayed

,----[ Quote ]
| The word this afternoon is that Industry Minister Jim Prentice will not
| introduce the Canadian DMCA tomorrow.  The thousands of letters and phone
| calls over the past week have urged the government to adopt balanced
| copyright reforms that meets everyone's needs and does not unduly harm
| education, consumer rights, privacy, and free speech.
`----

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/2459/1/

Recent:

No Swiss DMCA

,----[ Quote ]
| A dangerous law has been passed on the 5th October by both the Parliament and
| the National Council almost without resistance. The revision represents
| massive advances for legal protection of copy protection mechanisms.
|
| It is my conviction that such technical copy protection measures are of no
| merit for the consumer and will ultimately also harm the content producers. A
| law that puts such measures under special protection is hence just as ill
| advised.
`----

http://no-dmca.ch/index.en.html

Amazon and Wal-Mart unwittingly team up against DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| With Amazon spreading the word next year in a big way for DRM-free media and
| Wal-Mart trying to knock some sense into more major labels, 2008 is already
| looking to be a strong year for the fight against DRM.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071202-amazon-and-wal-mart-unwittingly-team-up-against-drm.html

Related:

DRM deathwatch: Sony, Wal-Mart

,----[ Quote ]
| First, Sony is reportedly considering offering its catalog as MP3s, joining
| EMI and Universal Music Group. That would make Warner Music the last holdout
| among the Big Four. I'm not sure how long Warner could hold out if it saw its
| competitors selling more digital files thanks to the universality of the MP3
| format.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9827363-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

UK music store: DRM-free music outsells protected tunes four to one

,----[ Quote ]
| DRM-free music sells at a much higher rate online than protected music,
| according to UK-based digital music store 7 Digital. In fact, customers buy
| it four times as often as they do DRMed music.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071109-uk-music-store-drm-free-music-outsells-protected-tunes-4-to-1.html
http://tinyurl.com/22jhju

EMI has DRM free sales boom

,----[ Quote ]
| Since EMI ditched the DRM on iTunes it has seen sales of Pink Floyd's Dark
| Side of the Moon increase by between 272 and 350 percent.

Music DRM 'dead by next summer'

,----[ Quote ]
| "It's MP3, absolutely," 7Digital MD Ben Drury told us. "People understand
| that MP3 works everywhere - that isn't true for AAC and certainly not for
| WMA."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/08/drm_free_music_sales_up/

Big labels are f*cked, and DRM is dead - Peter Jenner

,----[ Quote ]
| Few people know the music industry better than Peter Jenner. Pink
| Floyd's first manager, who subsequently managed Syd Barrett's solo
| career, Jenner has also looked after T.Rex, The Clash, Ian Dury,
| Disposable Heroes and Billy Bragg - who he manages today. He's also
| secretary general of the International Music Managers Forum.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/03/peter_jenner/

Music DRM in critical condition: Universal tests DRM free music sales

,----[ Quote ]
| Universal Music Group has announced that the company is going to test selling
| DRM-free music to consumers in order to assess the market.

Golden Rant : Microsoft DRM's gone too far

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft appears to have hit the wrong button on its critical
| Windows XP download service late last month, pretty well forcing
| every XP user to upgrade to Windows Media Player (WiMP) 11 if
| they (like me and many others) have the automatic download/install
| option enabled for critical updates.
`----

http://securityblog.itproportal.com/?p=712

The Longest Suicide Note in History

,----[ Quote ]
| Gutmann: The genie's out of the bottle before the operating system has even
| been released! But that doesn't mean Vista users in particular - and
| the computer community at large - won't end up paying for Microsoft's
| DRM folly. At the risk of repeating myself repeating myself, yet
| another reason to move to Linux.

http://blogs.pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/tux-love/2007/01/the_longest_suicide_note_in_hi.html

DRM in Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]