[News] Another Australian Shop Starts Selling GNU/Linux Laptops

  • Subject: [News] Another Australian Shop Starts Selling GNU/Linux Laptops
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:16:25 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Good Guys do Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| One of my fellow Ubuntu-Au LoCo people have informed me that The Good Guys
| are selling Acer laptops with Ubuntu on them.
|
| [...]
|
| This is quite good news for Aussie laptop shoppers, and I encourage anyone in
| Aus looking for a new laptop for the New Year to seriously consider getting
| one of them. I don’t normally recommend Acers, but until Dell does good of
| their plans to bring their Dellbuntu’s to the land Down Under, they’re the a
| good bridging solution.
`----

http://www.geekosophical.net/?p=169

Related:

The Penguin comes in from the cold

,----[ Quote ]
| In fact, three months ago, Hewlett-Packard and Red Hat launched a
| pre-installed Linux desktop, the HP Compaq dx2250, in Australia.
|
| Aimed at small to medium businesses, the dx2250 comes pre-loaded with the Red
| Hat Enterprise Linux 5 desktop operating system.
|
| The desktop comes in myriad forms including AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual-core, AMD
| Athlon 64 and AMD Sempron processors, and prices start at $600.
|
| The machine is sold through HP's reseller network and Red Hat offers
| technical support.
`----

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,22822516-24169,00.html

Acer gives mixed message on Linux line-up [in Australia]

,----[ Quote ]
| The Taiwanese company came out of practically nowhere to take the mantle of
| third-largest PC vendor in the world in the first quarter of 2007. Its
| shipments for the second quarter were also impressive, up 55 percent
| worldwide, the most of any PC maker.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/hardware/soa/Acer-gives-mixed-message-on-Linux-line-up/0,130061702,339280893,00.htm

Asus EeePC sold out across Australia

,----[ Quote ]
| The word from our ear on the ground is that the Asus EeePC sub-notebook,
| which made its Australian debut in the Myer department store chain on 2
| December, was sold out completely across stores in the major capitals by
| Sunday.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15610/1023/

Locating Linux-loyal Laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| Pioneer Notebooks in Sydney is one such company who offer Linux, and do so
| across their entire range of custom-built laptops. Selecting a laptop allows
| you to customise your preferred specs, with Ubuntu Linux being an operating
| system option at the exact same price as if no operating system was
| pre-loaded (By contrast, versions of Windows XP and Windows Vista range in
| price from $126 to $304.)
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14762/53/

SA eyes Apple, Red Hat to dodge vendor lock-in

`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/software/soa/SA-eyes-Apple-Red-Hat-to-dodge-vendor-lock-in/0,139023769,339283166,00.htm?feed=rss