[News] KDE Very Much Alive in Ubuntu, Not Just Kubuntu

  • Subject: [News] KDE Very Much Alive in Ubuntu, Not Just Kubuntu
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:13:46 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
KDE 3.5.8 on Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Using the default KDE for the past four days has been a very pleasant
| experience. Trying KDE without Kubuntu has revealed the true KDE, one that is
| very customizeable, as well as easy and pleasant to use. I have found KDE to
| be perfect for power users, and I know there are many better things to come.
| My only suggestion to the KDE folks is to make Konqeror a better web browser.
| Hopefully many compatibility issues with sites will be resolved in KDE v4,
| which will arrive in 12 days according to KDE's KDE 4 countdown.
`----

http://jon-reagan.blogspot.com/2007/12/kde-358-on-ubuntu.html

KDE is still alive in the Ubuntu Community

,----[ Quote ]
| I’m amazed everyone has assumed that Kubuntu is dead, KDE is dead, or Ubuntu
| doesn’t care about KDE all because of this recent change in policy. I have
| argued previously the decision to change from a LTS release to a regular
| release was not communicated clearly, but is a good thing for Kubuntu.
`----

http://jjesse.wordpress.com/2007/12/31/kde-is-still-alive-in-the-ubuntu-community/

performance and Qt 4.4

,----[ Quote ]
| I know I'm a sucker for speed. I want my computer to wait for me, not the
| other way around. I mean, a machine which can easily do millions of
| computations a second should be fast enough to keep up with my freakingly
| slow brain, right? It can take up to 1/10th of a second for a signal to
| travel from one end of the human brain to the other - that's not even the
| same league as my PC is playing in... Not to mention it has two cores and 3
| GB of ram to go with that insane clockspeed ;-)
`----

http://nowwhatthe.blogspot.com/2007/12/performance-and-qt-44.html

Related:

How to install KDE 4 RC 2 on Ubuntu 7.10 (screenshot tour)

,----[ Quote ]
| If you’ve been following the development of KDE 4, then you are likely aware
| that the most recent release candidate was released a few days ago.
`----

http://www.bradshawenterprises.com/blog/2007/12/19/how-to-install-kde-4-rc-2-on-ubuntu-710-screenshot-tour/

Kubuntu gears up for KDE 4

,----[ Quote ]
| The Kubuntu team plans to use Unidistro to make KDE 4 Kubuntu 7.10 CD images
| for the initial 4.0 release and subsequent minor releases. Only a small
| assortment of KDE 4 applications will be included by default in Kubuntu 8.04
| (which is scheduled for release in April), but those who wish to use KDE 4 by
| default in Kubutnu 8.04 will be able to use special experimental CD images
| that will be issued on a daily basis.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2007/12/13/kubuntu-gears-up-for-kde-4

Kubuntu 8.04 Featuring KDE 4

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes, you heard that right! Kubuntu 8.04, the Hardy Heron, will provide you
| the option of using either KDE 3.5 or KDE 4. Jonathan Riddell just posted the
| news in an email to the Kubuntu Developer’s mailing list...
`----

http://blog.nixternal.com/2007.12.20/kubuntu-804-featuring-kde-4/

KDE 4 Preview

,----[ Quote ]
| KDE 4 looks very promising. It looks good, works good and I predict reception
| will be good.
`----

http://www.masuran.org/2007/12/17/kde-4-preview/

Introducing KDE 4