[News] Incredible Linux Performance on a 450Mhz PC

  • Subject: [News] Incredible Linux Performance on a 450Mhz PC
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:11:03 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
CRUX Linux on 450Mhz K6-2, 256Mb

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes, finally, after about five more attempts and with still more hurdles to
| clear, I have a working CRUX Linux system on the ugly little laptop. And
| performance is incredible.
`----

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/12/31/crux-linux-on-450mhz-k6-2-256mb/

Related:

Performance Duel: Koolu 500 MHz vs. Pentium III 666 MHz

,----[ Quote ]
| We also use Ubuntu in our Monastery office. If you read the minimal
| specifications for Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn, it states you need at least a 500 MHz
| machine. We are interested in using computers that are low power, so a
| modern, general-purpose Operating System that has such modest requirements
| suits us fine, as it will run on older, less power-hungry computers.
`----

http://ca.blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-RkGSoVA1brWtXrVH9Gr5CzgVujwwGg--?cq=1&p=61

How To Revive An Old PC With Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Sure, it could go to the landfill, or you might be able to get a
| tax deduction from donating it to a local school. Or, using a
| Linux-based operating system, you could turn it into a
| functional desktop, browser, and e-mail client, and put it
| back to work.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=198500289

How to revive an old PC

,----[ Quote ]
| For better performance, most LiveCD distros can be installed onto a hard
| disk, but the process isn't as easy as it is with a conventional distro.
| There's still some hope, though. Currently the Ubuntu Lite project is working
| on a special customised release of Ubuntu for very low-end PCs. Similarly,
| the RULE Project offers a way to install current and recent releases of Red
| Hat's Fedora on low-end machines.

How to revitalize mature pentiums

,----[ Quote ]
| Hardware that is obsolete in Windows World is not obsolete in the real
| world!
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/free_computing

Build This Cheap But Effective Firewall