[News] [Rival] Microsoft Builds Proprietary WWW While Apple and Nokia Defend It

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Builds Proprietary WWW While Apple and Nokia Defend It
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 03:57:38 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Halloween Documents explained part 1 - de-commoditize protocols

,----[ Quote ]
| First of all, everyone interested in the well being of the free world and the
| existence of competition in the software market should be able to recognize
| such strategies employed by companies wanting to create vendor lock-in traps.
| Second of all there are several other efforts at the time being going on
| which tries to accomplish the same thing in other arenas. One such example is
| XAML and Silverlight which effectively tries to de-commoditize the markup
| languages we are using today on the web. The fact that the HTML have been a
| commodity product have been the very back-bone of the success of the internet
| as we know it today. If HTML is replaced by XAML or other proprietary
| technologies, the free world on the internet as we know it today will be the
| victim.
|
| [...]
|
| Standardized protocols and languages are the best way to ensure
| commoditization of the very fabric of society. Use standard based software
| and protocols where possible. Say no to proprietary new and improved versions
| of existing standards. Use JavaScript instead of Silverlight, use HTML
| instead of XAML, choose tools that obeys to the standards as much as possible
| instead of those that tries to create "new and improved" versions. Choose
| Free Software where possible and least of all; do not fall for Embrace,
| Extend and Extinguish strategies.
`----

http://ajaxwidgets.com/Blogs/thomas/halloween_documents_explained_.bb

Ogg Theora+Vorbis as default for <video> scuttled in HTML5 spec. Who benefits?

,----[ Quote ]
| Ian Hickson, speaking for the HTML5 working group, recently announced that he
| removed the suggested Ogg Theora+Vorbis language from the HTML5
| specification. The replacement language says that there should be
| unencumbered common audio and video formats in HTML but it doesn’t suggest
| any specific means of accomplishing that.
|
| How did this situation come to pass? What happened between the time this spec
| was drafted and now? Corporate influence, in a nutshell. Apple and Nokia’s
| complaints have found an ear with those working on HTML specs.
|
| What can you do to stop this? Raise the issue far and wide with everyone,
| even non-technical computer users. It’s time that these issues no longer live
| exclusively in the realm where only geeks tread.
|
| Apple and Nokia never liked the language supporting Ogg Vorbis+Theora codecs.
| Nokia lied by claiming Ogg Vorbis and Theora were “proprietary”. What Nokia
| probably meant is that the evolution of the Vorbis and Theora codecs were not
| under the control of a corporate board which Nokia could become a member (and
| thus have a hand in controlling how Theora and Vorbis improve). Ogg
| Theora+Vorbis specifications are available for anyone to use for any purpose.
`----

http://www.digitalcitizen.info/2007/12/30/ogg-theoravorbis-as-default-for-video-scuttled-in-html5-spec-who-benefits/

Nokia, Microsoft and Apple to the rescue of video DRM.

Related:

Silverlight is about The Microsoft Web.

,----[ Quote ]
| Sorry, but I have to say something very rude. You clearly don't know
| what you're talking about. That is Microsoft PR talking. Can you say
| "credibility loss".
|
| Silverlight is about The Microsoft Web
|
| Silverlight is not about the World Wide Web. It's about The Microsoft
| Web. It's about getting fools to rally around Microsoft. After all of
| this time and experience with Microsoft, anybody with half a brain
| will be smart enough to avoid doing that. The last thing you want to
| be is dependent on Microsoft and set yourself up to be a DIRECT
| competitor with "Microsoft Cloud Services" down the road. Dumb.
| Foolish. Stupid. Smart investors won't invest one dime in your
| company and might even short your stock.
|
| Remember, it's Microsoft's cloud. Microsoft is not investing in
| huge datacenters all around the world for no reason. And, Microsoft
| will do whatever it takes, including operating that new online
| services business at a huge loss, to starve off any smaller
| competitor that foolishly chose to develop on the Silverlight
| platform. Microsoft sold $44 BILLION and cleared $18 BILLION
| profit last year. How many billions did you make last year?
`----

http://talkback.zdnet.com/5208-11406-0.html?forumID=1&threadID=33334&messageID=613757

Microsoft's Silverlight Promises to Disrupt Linux Web Users

,----[ Quote ]
| Just as it seemed that Linux users (especially 64-bit users) would
| finally be able to enjoy streaming content with a minimum of
| hassle, Microsoft's new Silverlight software promises to throw a
| wrench in the works. Because of sites like Google Video and
| Youtube, Flash video has become a common means of streaming
| multimedia over the Internet.

Microsoft's 'Everywhere' excludes Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| This browser add-on enables rendering of WPF content, but
| "Everywhere" doesn't include Linux.

ECIS Accuses Microsoft of Plotting HTML Hijack

,----[ Quote ]
| An industry coalition that has represented competitors of Microsoft
| in European markets before the European Commission stepped up its
| public relations offensive this morning, this time accusing
| Microsoft of scheming to upset HTML's place in the fabric of
| the Internet with XAML, an XML-based layout lexicon forn
| etwork applications.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/ECIS_Accuses_Microsoft_of_Plotting_HTML_Hijack/1169824569

Software rivals say Microsoft's Vista illegal in Europe (at CNNMoney.com)

,----[ Excerpt ]

`----

http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/26/news/international/bc.vista.microsoft.eu.reut/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/2000/PX02991.pdf

Removal of Ogg Vorbis and Theora from HTML5: an outrageous disaster

,----[ Quote ]
| Note that HTML5 in no way required Ogg (as denoted by the word “should”
| instead of “must” in the earlier draft). Adding this to the fact that there
| are widely available patent-free implementations of Ogg technology, there is
| really no excuse for Apple and Nokia to say that they couldn’t in good faith
| implement HTML5 as previously formulated. Throw your own theory here: DRM,
| proprietary control, et cetera.
`----

http://rudd-o.com/archives/2007/12/11/removal-of-ogg-vorbis-and-theora-from-html5-an-outrageous-disaster/
http://tinyurl.com/yp5zm6

Is Nokia Looking for Revenue in the Wrong Places?

,----[ Quote ]
| He proposed that iPod and iTunes was an exception, and would be eclipsed by a
| Nokia/Microsoft (MSFT) partnership in short order.
|
| [...]
|
| That conversation echoes the one that nearly every music player manufacturer
| on the planet has had to date. And Microsoft's DRM and poor business
| decisions has managed to undermine the business of every single one of them,
| especially now that Microsoft's Zune competes with them and yet isn't
| compatible with Microsoft's own PlaysForSure music software.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/56822-is-nokia-looking-for-revenue-in-the-wrong-places?source=yahoo

Nokia to W3C: Ogg is proprietary, we need DRM on the Web

,----[ Quote ]
| But remember, that's not what Nokia is objecting to: they are arguing that
| Ogg is proprietary (it isn't) and that DRM should be part of a Web standard
| (it shouldn't).
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/12/09/nokia-to-w3c-ogg-is.html

Nokia to put Microsoft PlayReady onto S60 & S40 cellphone platforms

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia is to support Microsoft's PlayReady content access technology into the
| Nokia S60 and Series 40 mobile device platforms, starting in 2008.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13884&Itemid=1055

Mozilla, Opera look to make video on the Web easier

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20071207/tc_infoworld/93898