[News] Dave Winer Explains Why Macs Are More Expensive Than Apple Tells

  • Subject: [News] Dave Winer Explains Why Macs Are More Expensive Than Apple Tells
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 15:13:55 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Macs are even more expensive than I thought

,----[ Quote ]
| The repair guy opened the Mac, took out the disk, went into the back room,
| and came back saying the disk was bad, I'd need a new one....
| The new disk went in, I signed a form, and was about to leave and asked for
| the old disk and the clerk said it was his not mine. They were going to send
| it back to the manufacturer. I figured it would be refurbished and sold cheap
| to someone in a third world country. Little did I suspect.
`----

http://www.scripting.com/stories/2007/12/22/macsAreEvenMoreExpensiveTh.html

Related:

Moving From Mac to Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Yikes, I am locked in.
|
| The one thing I learned from this, is I am currently locked into Apple stuff.
| I didn’t quite realize it until now though - it never really hit home. For
| example, if I moved back to Linux I would have no way of syncing my iPhone. I
| also have an Airport Extreme, and near as I can tell, I can’t edit any of the
| Airport settings from Linux. Let alone my iTunes purchases. Wow, I am toast.
|
| I always imagined I could just install Ubuntu on my Apple hardware if it ever
| got down to it, but it seems that it is not that easy. By the way, hats off
| to the open firmware guys and yaboot - I was impressed that Ubuntu actually
| could install on and support most Mac hardware.
|
| If you are running intel hardware, you are not likely in this same boat. You
| can probably use boot camp to easily dual boot or use vmware.
|
| My lesson learned here is - single vendor lock in is limiting on your
| personal maneuverability, no matter how cool the products seem to be. If the
| company you are hooked in with starts putting out stuff you don’t like, the
| economy takes a dump and you can’t afford their stuff, or you disagree with
| something, your options are limited.
|
| (Written on my Ubuntu Thinkpad T23 while I am installing Leopard for a third
| time on my Powerbook. Holding to the hope that the problems I am having were
| things I somehow did wrong.)
`----

http://robrohan.com/2007/12/10/moving-from-mac-to-ubuntu/

Leopard is the New Vista, and It's Pissing Me Off

,----[ Quote ]