Re: [News] Nintendo Wii Fully Open for Linux (Hacked)

<posted & mailed>

____/ Jerry McBride on Saturday 29 December 2007 21:31 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Nintendo Wii fully hacked for native homebrew
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The Wii was compromised pretty early on to be able to play burned discs
>> | and GameCube homebrew such as Linux, but until now Nintendo has managed
>> | to isolate Wii hardware such as the extra horsepower of the console and
>> | wireless connectivity from hackers. But the walls are coming down. Some
>> | hackers from Germany have just showed off their fully hacked Wii at the
>> | 24th Annual Chaos Communication Congress.
>> `----
>>

> Wow... there's no need for buying xbox360 for my cheap linux servers. Isn't
> the WII cheaper... Wow...

                     More like Wii.

It's very affordable indeed. One has to wonder if you could dual-boot the
cheapo thing and use it as a PC or a processing unit while your kid ain't
playing with it. As with any "razor-razor blade" business model, such things
scare the manufacturers.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Far away from home, robots build people"
 03:05:01 up 19 days, 15:53,  4 users,  load average: 0.63, 1.18, 1.62