[News] The Windows-only Applications Barrier is No More (Doors Open to Linux, Macs)

  • Subject: [News] The Windows-only Applications Barrier is No More (Doors Open to Linux, Macs)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 12:25:54 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Christmas Present For Apple Bulls: Mac Cleared for Takeoff

,----[ Quote ]
| What has changed? The dominance of Windows and Office have waned. The most
| important personal computer application by far these days is the Internet,
| and there's no advantage to having Microsoft Windows when you use the
| Internet. The other most popular personal computer apps, web-based email and
| instant messaging, as well as the advent of Google Apps and other web-based
| Office clones, there's also a lot less reason than there used to be to use
| the PC platform that most applications are developed for.
|
| In short, the network effect that supported the Windows monopoly--and
| bolstered the sales of all companies that hitched their wagons to this
| star--is disintegrating, enabling computer uses to simply choose the
| computers that they like best.
`----

http://www.alleyinsider.com/2007/12/what-apple-bulls-are-missing-mac-cleared-for-takeoff.html

This applies to games too (see below).

Recent:

Heroes of Might and Magic assault web

,----[ Quote ]
| The game requires no download or installation, only an Internet connection.
| In addition, players can play at their own pace; from 10 minutes to
| multiple-hour sessions.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15817/1063/

Adobe sees full shift to Web in next decade

,----[ Quote ]
| Adobe Systems is working to deliver all of its software via the Web as a
| service rather than a packaged product, but the transition to earn money from
| subscriptions or advertising could take a decade...
`----

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21359751/

Games shared from PC to PS3 over the Web?

,----[ Quote ]
| "We will release a Linux version in Q4 2007 which will enable PC games to be
| played on the PlayStation 3 and many other devices including DVD players, set
| top boxes, networked media devices and mobile phones," he said.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15045/1063/

Free Games for Linux

.----[ Quote ]
| A round-up of fun Linux diversions.
|
| When people talk about computer gaming these days, they
| invariably mean commercial games running on a Windows platform. Few
| people realize that Linux can be more than just a very good Web or
| file server. Even fewer people are aware of the many open-source or
| otherwise freely available games available for Linux.
`----

http://www2.linuxjournal.com/node/1000435

Vista breaks 90% of games, claims game publisher

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/01/30/vista_games/