[News] [Rival] Microsoft Passed Vapour2 Test After 7-Year Feature Freeze

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Passed Vapour2 Test After 7-Year Feature Freeze
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 04:17:23 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft’s IE8 vaporware passing Acid2 gets cheered in corporate media

,----[ Quote ]
| All Microsoft did was produce a screenshot ostensibly demonstrating MSIE8
| passing Acid2. They distributed no code for people to verify this alleged
| standards compliance for themselves, not even proprietary code. To me this
| represents a significant low in how many people are willing to give credit
| for something they can’t verify, something typically called vaporware.
`----

http://www.digitalcitizen.info/2007/12/23/microsofts-ie8-vaporware-passing-acid2-gets-cheered-in-corporate-media/
http://tinyurl.com/2wxgwb

IE's Acid trip back to conflict

,----[ Quote ]
| Opera's call to the EU coincides with the news that Microsoft spin-of Zumobi
| (formerly ZenZui) has released the first beta version of its mobile browser
| that aims to compete with - among others - yes, Opera.
|
| Several years back Microsoft gave up on IE as a separate product, believing
| it was mission accomplished in browsers and there wasn't anything left to
| innovate. That gave Firefox, with tabbed browsing and better security, a foot
| in the door and spurred Microsoft into making IE available again as a
| separate download. 2008 promises to confirm that - more than 10 years after
| the browser wars ended - there remains much to do in browser development and
| that hostilities are back on.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/12/24/ie8_acid2_standards/

Related:

The Firefox Kid

,----[ Quote ]
| Blake Ross helped make Firefox one of the biggest open-source success
| stories ever. Just wait until you see what he's up to now
`----

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/nov06/4696

Old:

Firefox (on a development branch) passing the Acid2 test

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dbaron/126886608/