[News] VectorLinux 5.9, MEPIS 7.0, ZenEdu Live Officially Announced

  • Subject: [News] VectorLinux 5.9, MEPIS 7.0, ZenEdu Live Officially Announced
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 04:13:59 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
VectorLinux-5.9 standard final GOLD is under the tree!

,----[ Quote ]
| The VectorLinux development team is proud to announce the release of
| VectorLinux 5.9 final GOLD edition.
`----

http://vectorlinux.com/article.php?sid=40

A Holiday Present for Everybody: MEPIS 7.0 is Released

,----[ Quote ]
| MEPIS has released SimplyMEPIS 7.0. The isos for the 32 and 64 versions are
| in the released directory at the MEPIS subscriber site and public mirrors.
| MEPIS 7.0 offers up to date user applications delivered on top of a Debian
| stable core.
`----

http://www.mepis.org/node/14187

ZenEdu Live Special Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| Zenwalk community, on the occasion of this festive season, is pleased to
| offer you a Special Edition of ZenEdu Live. A LiveCD based on Zenwalk
| snapshot and majoring on educational & fun contents which can be used
| independently by educational institutions, families, students & children
| alike.
`----

http://www.zenwalk.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=50

Some reviews below. They are all good and mature distributions.

Related:

Vector Linux 5.9-Pseudo64-0.1 -- Finally, 64-bit Vector

,----[ Quote ]
| There’s a 64-bit version. There has never been a 64-bit version of Vector
| Linux before. To me this is one more essential step towards Vector Linux
| being taken seriously as a major distribution.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/09/vector_linux_59pseudo6401_fina.html

VectorLinux - The Pefect Installation and Setup

,----[ Quote ]
| The  VectorLinux Website is promising: “Speed, performance, stability --
| these are attributes that set VectorLinux apart in the crowded field of Linux
| distributions. VectorLinux is a lighterweight, fast, Linux operating system
| for Intel-AMD x86 compatible systems and is based upon Slackware, one of the
| original Linux distributions…”
| Linux-Tip was testing the installation and usage of version 5.8 (Standard
| Gold).
`----

http://www.linux-tip.net/cms/content/view/315/26/

Review: Vector Linux 5.8 Standard Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall I'd rate Vector Linux as a very high quality distribution that easily
| gains a spot on my short list of highly recommended distributions for new and
| experienced users.  I give the developers huge props for creating a
| distribution that takes one of the most powerful and complex distributions in
| the world (Slackware) and turns it into a new users dream desktop.  This is
| even a distro I would feel comfortable giving to my own mom, and that's
| saying a lot.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=278

Vector Linux 5.8 SOHO - A Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Those looking for a fast and powerful Slackware-based distribution, be sure
| to check out this latest 5.8 SOHO installment of Vector Linux.
`----

http://shiftbackspace.com/2007/07/27/vector-linux-58-soho-a-review/

VectorLinux 5.8 live CD GOLD final and SOHO-5.8 live alpha1

,----[ Quote ]
| The VectorLinux team is proud to announce the release of VectorLinux
| 5.8 GOLD LIVE CD and the first SOHO-5.8 alpha live CD and DVD.
`----

http://www.vectorlinux.com/article.php?sid=7&PHPSESSID=d76db43919cbee386994227fd824bef6
http://tinyurl.com/37or32

VectorLinux SOHO: A better Slackware than Slackware

,----[ Quote ]
| I've always admired VectorLinux for offering what I consider a
| better Slackware than Slackware. It's beautiful and functional,
| and would work well for me in my home office. On the desktop it
| is an excellent distribution with no real problems.
`----

http://distrocenter.linux.com/distrocenter/07/05/16/1816255.shtml?tid=127

VL-5.8 standard final is under the tree. Merry Christmas!!

,----[ Quote ]
| The Vector developement team is proud to announce the release of Vector
| Linux  5.8 Standard final, code named "Santa" (Merry Christmas!). This
| is the fruit that has resulted from several months of coding, debugging
| and testing by the core developement team and the Vector community.
`----

http://www.vectorlinux.com/article.php?sid=40

Review: VectorLinux 5.8

,----[ Quote ]
| I found VectorLinux to be an attractive OS for those who just want
| to browse the Web, watch DVDs and other video formats, and perform
| basic word processing.
`----

http://distrocenter.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/12/21/166220&from=rss

New Release of a Cool Canadian Distro: Vector Linux 5.8

,----[ Quote ]
| Conclusion
|
| Once you have Vector Linux installed, configured, and customized
| to your needs it?s an absolute pleasure to run. It?s fast and sleek
| and well thought out. Some features, such as those for managing
| WiFi connections and removable hardware, are absolutely second
| to none...
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/01/new_releasecool_canadian_distr.html

First look at VectorLinux 5.8 SOHO

,----[ Quote ]
| VectorLinux is a distro that I tested only a couple of times before,
| but I was very impressed with the system. Then, as now, it was a
| pretty, complete, and stable alternative to heavier or more
| complicated offerings. It dresses up Slackware and adds needed
| functionality, yet remains true to the Slackware tradition.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20070226#review

Vector Linux - Chaucer's Beautiful Hag

,----[ Quote ]
| I installed Vector Linux on an ancient HP vectra, a PII-450MHz box with
| 192MB RAM.

Vector Linux Environmental Stewards

,----[ Quote ]
| I would like to extend my thanks and complements to everyone involved in
| making Vector Linux adaptable, flexible and user friendly. My Lions Club
| sponsors a Computers for Kids program where we refurbish surplus computers,
| load Vector as the OS
|
| [...]
|
| I don't claim to be a Linux expert or evangelist. We are just trying
| to give underprivileged kids in our community access to world class
| technology and a level playing field.
`----

http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/9647.html

MEPIS 7.0-rc2: See Fedora

,----[ Quote ]
| I tried MEPIS 6.0 and 6.5 a while back because it seemed like a good
| distribution. The best of Ubuntu, Debian, and Knoppix all rolled into one
| with some extra goodies a la Mint- who wouldn't want it? It turned out to be
| a decent distribution, but a solid one at best.
| All this is (hopefully- it's the last RC, but it's still just an RC) going to
| change with version 7.0.
`----

http://distrogue.blogspot.com/2007/12/mepis-70-rc2-see-fedora.html

Another Day Another Distro - Part 8 - SimplyMEPIS 7.0 Beta 6

,----[ Quote ]
| This time around I decided to try out another distribution I'd never used
| before in the shape of MEPIS. I started off with simplyMEPIS 6.5 which seemed
| a bit dated but luckily it was pointed out to me that 7.0 is due out very
| soon. I noticed simplyMEPIS 7.0 AntiX had been released recently but it's a
| lightweight distribution for older hardware and it's probably not fair to
| compare that to the larger distros directly. I might look at lightweight
| distros in their own right in future.
`----

http://adventuresinopensource.blogspot.com/2007/11/another-day-another-distro-part-8.html

MEPIS 7.0 Beta5: Improvements and OpenOffice 2.3

,----[ Quote ]
| Good news for MEPIS users! The MEPIS documentation team has released a new
| MEPIS User's manual under a Creative Commons License. With over 60 pages, the
| manual covers many questions from installation, to network configuration, to
| using applications.
`----

http://www.mepis.org/node/14087

KDE 4.0 Beta 1 w/ MEPIS

,----[ Quote ]
| The first beta of KDE 4.0 was released earlier this month and Warren Woodford
| of the MEPIS project has now built a version of SimplyMEPIS 7 that is based
| upon Debian Etch with the 32-bit and 64-bit KDE 4.0 Beta 1 packages.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=805&num=1

MEPIS releases KDE 4 Beta 1 Live DVDs

,----[ Quote ]
| In a statement, Jos Poortvliet of the KDE Project said, "The KDE project is
| happy to see MEPIS Linux leading the way in bringing the next-generation
| desktop technology to their users. This decision of early adoption of KDE 4
| by the MEPIS developers will ensure a premier KDE experience for the users.
| We hope KDE 4 will be appreciated, and we look forward to the constructive
| comments from the MEPIS community."

SimplyMEPIS 6.5 - A Review

,----[ Quote ]
| I have been very impressed by the entire SimplyMEPIS 6.5 operating
| system. It was probably the best install experience I have ever had,
|  offers great response, and has an enjoyable interface. Personally,
| I feel that this has been my best KDE experience thus far, even with
| my previous use of PCLinuxOS 2007. You may not hear too much about
| MEPIS when it comes to Linux news sites, but there is definitely a
| good reason why there are so many users.
`----

http://shiftbackspace.com/2007/06/15/simplemepis-65-a-review/

A first look at SimplyMEPIS 6.5

,----[ Quote ]
| The final of SimplyMEPIS 6.5 is now out. You can either buy a
| subscription to the distribution from the SimplyMEPIS store or
| download a copy from one of the MEPIS mirrors.
`----

http://desktoplinux.com/articles/AT6383341657.html

SimplyMEPIS 6.5 Release Candidate 2 [screenshots]

,----[ Quote ]
| The second release candidate for SimplyMEPIS 6.5 is now
| available. SimplyMEPIS 6.5 RC2 replaces QtParted with
| GParted, improvements to the MEPIS Xconfig assistant,
| and a fair amount of other changes beyond the original
| release candidate. SimplyMEPIS is another Ubuntu-based
| distribution.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=667&num=1

SimplyMEPIS 6.5 RC3 adds Beryl 0.2.0 Final and Installer Translations

,----[ Quote ]
| SimplyMEPIS 6.5 RC3 has been uploaded to the MEPIS subscribers
| pool and propagated to the public mirrors.
`----

http://www.mepis.org/node/13211

Review: SimplyMEPIS 6.5 RC1

,----[ Quote ]
| SimplyMEPIS 6.5 is definitely the coolest distribution I have
| reviewed so far. The eye candy is very sweet indeed, but more over
| it is put together well and simply works. I also like the fact
| it uses KDE instead of GNOME, but mainly for personal preference.
`----

http://www.triedit.org/review/review-simplymepis-65-rc1/

MEPIS founder clarifies MEPIS/Ubuntu relationship

,----[ Quote ]
| Woodford [MEPIS]: Again it's a matter of what you mean by those words.
| Mark [Shuttleworth] and I talked it over before I switched to Ubuntu.
| He's clear that MEPIS is an independent distro. And yet, it is fair
| to say on the Ubuntu site that MEPIS is a derivative of Ubuntu,
| from the point of view that we use the Ubuntu packages. And we
| use them by choice, because they meet our needs and they're
| the best available. That reference at the Ubuntu site says
| that we endorse Ubuntu, and we do.

MEPIS 7.0 Beta6: The Final Round of Updates

,----[ Quote ]
| The first RC is scheduled to be released around Nov 10 and a second RC around
| the 17th. Final is tentatively scheduled for Nov 24.
`----

http://www.mepis.org/node/14176

Zenwalk Live 4.8: More Zen Power!

,----[ Quote ]
| As a standard practice since Zenwalk Linux 2.6 (with the exception of 4.0), a
| live CD for Zenwalk Linux will be released, usually 4 to 6 weeks after the
| release of the standard Zenwalk Linux edition (the installation CD). With a
| Zenwalk Linux live CD aka Zenwalk Live or just ZenLive,  you  can also enjoy
| the goodness of the standard Zenwalk Linux edition without installing it to
| your hard disk.
`----

http://www.linuxseekers.com/content/view/189/1/

Zenwalk Live 4.8

,----[ Quote ]
| One of my favorites, ZenWalk, just released Zenwalk 4.8 Live. Both Zenwalk
| and Vector — the top Xfce-based, Slackware-derived distributions — are very
| good, but I like the way Zenwalk looks and works just that much better.
`----

http://thectrlfreak.wordpress.com/2007/11/19/zenwalk-live-48/

Zenwalk Live 4.8 Released!

,----[ Quote ]
| With great joy the Zenwalk Live Team presents Zenwalk Live 4.8. This new
| release features the speed, stability and usability of Zenwalk Gnu/Linux with
| several new features geared towards Linux Live CD users. From the beginning
| our goal was to make this the best Live CD ever and it makes us proud to
| offer it to the world.
`----

http://www.zenwalk.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=67

Zenwalk 4.8 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| I am just in love with xfce based distributions; they are fast, simple and
| elegant and Zenwalk is no exception. It has a really good control center and
| out-of-box multimedia support.
`----

http://simplyjat.blogspot.com/2007/11/zenwalk-48-review.html

Releases : Zenwalk 4.8 is ready

,----[ Quote ]
| The Zenwalk Team is happy to announce the Zenwalk 4.8 release.
|
| After several release-candidates, it seems that we are ready for a very
| stable release. Overall, testers have found Zenwalk 4.8 the fastest version
| ever.
`----

http://www.zenwalk.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=62

ReviewLinux.Com: Zenwalk 4.8 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| A quick look at the new Zenwalk 4.8 released on October 6 2007. This
| Slackware based Linux OS was a pleasure to look at and test. Several images
| guide you through the install and a short flash video at the end to show you
| Zenwalk 4.8 in action.
`----

http://www.reviewlinux.com/?m=show&id=7529

Getting more comfortable with Zenwalk ... and a touchy touchpad

,----[ Quote ]
| So all in all, I'm enjoying the $0 Laptop and Zenwalk. And my touchpad
| training.
`----

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2007/09/getting_more_comfortable_with.html

Screenshots of Zenwalk Linux 4.8 Beta.

,----[ Quote ]
| It looks like XFCE is being used more often than expected. Just take a look
| at the result of the2007  Desktop Linux Survey. In this article I will show
| you lots of interesting screenshots of
|
| Zenwalk 4.8 Beta.
`----

http://www.linuxseekers.com/content/view/190/1/

Releases : Zenwalk Live 4.6 Released!

,----[ Quote ]
| The most important change in 4.6 at the system level is the new tool chain,
| including Binutils-2.17.50, GCC 4.1 and Glibc-2.5, which hve been fully
| implemented. All libraries and applications have been compiled with this
| modern tool chain and benefit from the latest evolutions in GNU software and
| resulting binary optimizations.
`----

http://www.zenwalk.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=59

Releases : Zenwalk 4.6 is out

,----[ Quote ]
| The Zenwalk Team is happy to announce that Zenwalk 4.6 (code name
| "Red Pill") has been released.
`----

http://www.zenwalk.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=53

Zenwalk 4.2 -- There isn't anything mini about this distro anymore

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall: I am honestly pleased to give this package a 4 Pennie review.
| The simplicity of the system, the functionality and way that Zenwalk
| keeps everything basic. There is no fluff to the system, there is no
| monster 4 Gig download, no extra packages that you will never, ever
| need. The team in France really has a gem. It does need a little
| polish on the installation, especially on the networking, which does
| require some insite, which hopefully we helped you understand. Now,
| it is hard to capture everything you need, so please look to the
| forums or here if you need additional support there. Other than that,
| the installation is pretty easy to follow given that it is a text
| based installer for a slackware system.
`----

http://knolinux.com/2007/01/13/zenwalk-42--there-isnt-anything-mini-about-this-distro-anymore.aspx

Zenwalk 4.6 Beta 1 Screenshot Tour

,----[ Quote ]
| Main changes in this release are: kernel 2.6.21, with KVM support;
| a new toolchain, featuring a new glibc and GCC so that most
| packages have been rebuilt; Xfce 4.4.1 with new plugins and
| system notifications (for example, udev now send user notifications
| about hotplugged devices); Firefox 2.0.0.3, Thunderbird 2.0.0.0;
| many improvements in the base system and admin tools. You will
| notice that Zenwalk installer has been simplified a lot, making
| it one of the simplest setups available in the GNU/Linux world...
`----

http://osdir.com/Article9829.phtml

Zenwalk Live 4.4.1

,----[ Quote ]