[News] [SOT] RIAA Gangsters Under Attack, RIAA/MPAA Shills Sink to Oblivion

  • Subject: [News] [SOT] RIAA Gangsters Under Attack, RIAA/MPAA Shills Sink to Oblivion
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 06:04:11 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Student lawyers act for students in RIAA case

,----[ Quote ]
| In what’s probably a world’s first, not lawyers, but student attorneys at the
| University of Maine School of Law’s Cumberland Legal Aid Clinic have
| themselves taken up the fight on behalf of fellow students.

MediaDefender Stock Plunges Due to Leaked Emails

,----[ Quote ]
| It has been a rough year for MediaDefender and their parent company
| ArtistDirect. This September nearly 700mb of MediaDefender’s emails leaked to
| the public. Initially it didn’t seem to affect the stock price much, but
| after the financial consequences became apparent, their net worth plunged.

The goods are here (the hall of shame and archive of filth):

They intercept entire protocols now (blaming 'criminals' and 'pirates' and
punishing everyone collectively).

Recent (just days ago):

RIAA writes its own "news" for local TV stations

,----[ Quote ]
| Then there's this gem: "Audio quality on pirated CDs is usually atrocious."
| Someone alert the RIAA to how digital copying actually works, please.
| [...]
| Lending credence to the video, though, is the fact that it follows a recent
| RIAA press release almost exactly. Though that release says nothing about a
| video news feed, it does mention that the RIAA is launching a "holiday
| anti-piracy campaign" that "offers shoppers innovative gift ideas and tips
| for avoiding pirate product." The campaign is set to focus on 15 cities
| with "exceptionally high piracy rates" (every major US city, apparently).

MPAA wins copyright case against TorrentSpy

,----[ Quote ]
| Cooper, in a ruling made public Monday, agreed with the MPAA that defendants
| Justin Bunnell, Forrest Parker, Wes Parker and Valence Media had destroyed
| evidence after another judge had ordered them to keep server logs, user IP
| (Internet Protocol) addresses and other information. TorrentSpy billed itself
| as a central location to find files distributed on BitTorrent P-to-P
| (peer-to-peer) networks.

BitTorrent Admin Monitored by US Government, Forced to Dump Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Sk0t, an ex-administrator of the EliteTorrents BitTorrent tracker is to have
| his internet connection forcibly monitored by the US Government. If that
| wasn’t bad enough, the monitoring software is Windows based - which means he
| is being forced to ditch Linux - or face being barred from the internet.

Senators want probe of Comcast's BitTorrent 'discrimination'

,----[ Quote ]
| The senators suggested the incidents indicate "Congress should consider
| adopting targeted regulations to protect consumers and ensure a vibrant and
| open communications platform."

Congressman to Comcast: Stop interfering with BitTorrent

,----[ Quote ]
| While a class action lawsuit is definitely one way to get Comcast to behave,
| another perhaps more productive way to do so is to have politicians step in
| and regulate.
| On Tuesday, I discussed the issue of Comcast's anti-BitTorrent "network
| management" with Rep. Rick Boucher, D-Va., who is a strong supporter of
| consumer rights and has led the battle to undo the damage caused by the
| Digital Millennium Copyright Act, or DMCA.

Torrentspy Disables Searching For US IPs

| Torrent indexing site Torrentspy.com appears to have disabled torrent
| searches for IPs that originate in the United States.

RIAA backs down on granny charges

,----[ Quote ]

,----[ Quote ]
| "It also was strange to see just how many resources are aligned
| against me when I write a story about Microsoft."
| "there were close to a dozen other people involved...Some transcribed
| the interviews I conducted; others kept notes on my every utterance
| for clues about what questions I might ask next and ultimately what my
| story would say; others briefed executives with questions I had asked
| and suggested good answers."

RIAA, MPAA urge pro-copyright vows from presidential candidates

,----[ Quote ]
| One question, for instance, asks: "How would you promote the progress of
| science and creativity, as enumerated in the U.S. Constitution, by upholding
| and strengthening copyright law and preventing its diminishment?"

The First Thanksgiving

,----[ Quote ]
| Today we have record companies suing moms, we have artists suing record
| companies, we have writers striking on the media. What has caused all of this
| turmoil? Well the rise of the Internet of course!

Fair use boosts US economy more than copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| The CCIA referred to recent estimates of the industry wide value added net
| revenue of fair use versus copyright based industries. Copyright based value
| amounts to $1.3 trillion, whereas fair use value amounts to $2.2 trillion,
| according to the CCIA report. Thus the fair use contribution to the US
| economy is 70 per cent greater than that of copyright.

Grandmother targets RIAA ‘investigators’

,----[ Quote ]
| Taking a page out of Tanya Andersen’s book, Hurricane Rita survivor
| Rhonda Crain is also targeting the RIAA practice of using
| unlicensed ‘investigators’ in its bizarre sue ‘em all marketing
| campaign.

An Oregon Woman's Lawsuit against the RIAA, Alleging Racketeering and Malicious

,----[ Quote ]
| however, that the RIAA is, at a minimum, very foolish to press suits
| for purported file-sharing against unlikely defendants like Andersen -
| who alleges that she came forward with solid proof of her innocence.

Big Content asks presidential candidates for more restrictive copyright laws

,----[ Quote ]
| The Copyright Alliance, which counts the MPAA and RIAA amongst its members,
| has sent letters and questionnaires to presidential candidates in an effort
| to determine where they stand on issues relating to intellectual property
| law.

How Apple orchestrated web attack on researchers

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple is a mega corporation that nearly smashed the reputation of
| two individuals with bogus claims of fraud. It didn't matter
| that they weren't the ones pulling the trigger because they
| were pulling all the strings.

Apple Bullies Bloggers, Again

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple has a history of using lawyers against bloggers. There was
| the now infamous Think Secret lawsuit, which may have had merit.
| But they also engage in clearly superfluous, bullying tactics as well.
| [...]
| The offending download page is here (the software has now been
| removed). Blogger Paul O'Brien simply linked to this download
| page and included a screenshot of the user interface and also
| received a cease & desist letter from Apple's lawyers.

Gates blackmailed Danish government

,----[ Quote ]