Re: [News] New Version of Perl is Out

In article <1gmp9o59ydn3v$.1j59n98akh72i$.dlg@xxxxxxxxxx>,
 Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://avatraxiom.livejournal.com/58084.html
>
> "However, Perl would not be my first choice for writing or maintaining a
> large project, such as Bugzilla. The same flexibility that makes Perl so
> powerful makes it very difficult to enforce code quality standards or to
> implement modern object-oriented designs."

Perl is fine for modern object-oriented designs that are actually well
designed.  It is not so good for the kind of bloated, ridiculous,
build-elaborate-class-heirarchies-where-simple-composition-will-do
trainwrecks of design that current and former Java programmers tend to
(and since Java is now the first language of many people, the mistakes
they learn in Java tend to be brought to whatever other languages they
learn).

This tendency of Java programmers is not a fault of Java, BTW.  Rather,
it is the fault of those who teach Java programming.  The problem is
that they often do not teach good OO design, leaving it to the student
to try to figure it out by looking at the design of Java libraries, such
as Swing.

Swing is not badly designed--but it is a framework, meant to be used in
a huge variety of situations, that its designers could not foresee.
That is a quite different from the problem you face when designing
classes for your program, and what is a good design when building a
general thing like Swing is often a very bad design when building an
application for a specific task.

So, what we got with Java (or rather, with Java being poorly taught) was
a generation of programmers who only knew bad design--and so that became
part of their culture.  They developed elaborate tools and methodologies
to handle bad design.  It's amazing.

In many ways, Java has become the modern BASIC.

--
--Tim Smith