Re: [News] New Version of Perl is Out

* Tim Smith fired off this tart reply:

> In article <9febj.66966$c_1.40753@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>  7 <website_has_email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Perl is just used as small scripts to glue together bits
>> of everything. Its extremely good at that.
>
> OK, we can add Perl to the list of things that 7 knows nothing about.
> Perl is often used for very large applications.

However, he is wise in thinking that of Perl <grin>.

It is interesting how scripting languages tend to grow and to duplicate
the library paradigm of C.

Lately I've been doing a lot of shell scripting, a fair amount of Perl,
and of course a lot of C/C++.  (You know, those Windows-Developer-By-Day
languages that DFS keeps harpingon).  And I'm working on a project to
work with fluxbox styles using Python.

My feeling is that shell scripting is necessary, and the Perl or Python
is more convenient for some tasks, and I prefer Python to Perl.  But
none of them will replace C/C++ in my toolbox.

One thing I'm having trouble with in Python....  I can live without the
semi-colons; I can live with the use of indentation as a
block-delimiting mechanism; but I cannot seem to stop forgetting to put
the colon after a function definition or an "if" statement.  Sigh.

--
Tux rox!