[News] Performance Benchmark of Some GNU/Linux Distros

  • Subject: [News] Performance Benchmark of Some GNU/Linux Distros
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 20:38:23 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
gOS 1.0.1: lots of hype, but not so fast

,----[ Quote ]
| As I say above the biggest thing to emerge is the speed advantage of
| Slackware and Debian, especially with Xfce. The relative slowness of
| Slackware 11-based Wolvix was puzzling. And while I didn't have OpenOffice
| installed in Slackware, and KOffice is pretty much a quicker program, I
| included its load numbers for comparison's sake. I did first and second loads
| of all apps because the second load is often -- but not always -- much
| quicker. Times for office suites were the number of seconds it took to open
| up a new OO Writer or KWord document.
`----

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2007/12/gos_lots_of_hype_but_not_so_fa.html

Interesting numbers to watch, even though they are very hardware-dependent.

Related:

Fedora v. Ubuntu: A Performance Look

,----[ Quote ]
| In this article we have enclosed benchmarks from Fedora Core 6,
| Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft, Fedora 7 Test 2, and Ubuntu Feisty Fawn Herd
| 5. In gaming and desktop benchmarks, which of these Linux
| distributions is faster? We hope to answer that question today.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=658&num=1

Ubuntu 7.10 vs. Early Ubuntu 8.04 Benchmarks

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=945&num=1