[News] Many Companies Joined the Free Software Wave This Year

  • Subject: [News] Many Companies Joined the Free Software Wave This Year
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 20:36:21 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
New players enliven open source

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2007, much of the open-source action happened outside the corridors of the
| usual corporate suspects.
|
| For years, the center of open-source software, at least from a commercial
| perspective, was with companies such as Red Hat, Novell, MySQL, and a number
| of smaller players. Those companies continued grinding away at their
| collaborative programming projects and support-centric businesses, but more
| unusual for the year were the new arrivals.
`----

http://www.news.com/Year-in-review-New-players-enliven-open-source/2009-7344_3-6223153.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Related:

Open Source: The Wave of the Future

,----[ Quote ]
| Question: Do you see the trend continuing, or is it only short term?
|
| Dalle: We think that this is a long-lasting trend that has been enabled
| by the Internet as a platform, which has facilitated collaboration and
| sharing of code. That really has been the driving factor of the open
| source movement. It was out there for awhile, but the Internet as a
| collaboration platform has really allowed this business model to
| explode. Obviously, software is an evolution. ... It will continue
| to make leaps and bounds, but going forward, to a large extent, if
| it's addressing big enough markets, open source will be the
| development and distribution approach.
`----

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/item/?ci=21635

Is Antivirus Ready for Open Source?

,----[ Beginning of article ]
| The open source software movement has come a long way. A decade ago,
| nobody but the actual participants in open source projects and other
| IT enthusiasts gave the movement much chance of succeeding, but today,
| it's tough to deny the success of open source products. However, when it
| comes to security tools and antivirus software--the thin blue line
| separating our computers from certain infection on the Internet--there
| is less agreement that open source can secure as well as traditionally
| developed, closed-source products.
|
| There is no denying the huge impact that open source development has had,
| and continues to have, on the IT industry. Indeed, one only has to look
| as far as Linux, which is the second-most popular operating system (to
| Windows), and the fastest growing operating system in terms of usage.A
| pache remains, by far, the most popular HTTP server on the Net, and the
| Eclipse Java framework is rapidly gaining market and mind-share, and is
| now a real threat to Microsoft in development tool supremacy.
|
| The popularity of open source has both philosophical and practical roots.
| It used to be that developers and users would choose open source primarily
| because it didn't come from Microsoft. They might overlook somes
| hortcomings in the product, such as an unattractive interface, because
| they felt strongly about the need for diversity. Not anymore. Nowadays,
| open source tools, such as PHP, Perl, and JBoss, are getting use because
| they're easy to get, easy to use, and they do the job. In many cases
| (but not all), open source software is also cheaper, and that will always
| be a factor in some people's minds.
|
| Backers of open source software commonly cite the frequency of updates as
| one of the advantages of their method. Having a worldwide network of
| motivated enthusiasts and experts on hand to scour source code, make
| additions, and fix bugs is better than waiting for months for a vendor
| with questionable motivations to roll out an update, they say.
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/fhs/fhs091906-story01.html

Woopsi for Nintendo: First Open Source Package Released

`----

http://www.topnews.in/woopsi-nintendo-first-open-source-package-released-23835