[News] MySQL Develops Small IBM Dependency

  • Subject: [News] MySQL Develops Small IBM Dependency
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 20:33:33 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
IBM buys database software firm Solid Information

,----[ Quote ]
| "IBM's acquisition of Solid Information Technology supports the company's
| growth strategy and capital allocation model, and it is expected to
| contribute to the achievement of the company's objective for
| earnings-per-share growth through 2010," IBM said in a statement.

MySQL in the firing line again as IBM snaps up SolidDB

,----[ Quote ]
| The aqcuisition also has implications for MySQL given Solid’s development of
| the SolidDB for MySQL engine, an optional replacement for InnoDB (also of
| course acquired by Oracle).
| [...]
| Solid had planned to boost its support for MySQL in the new year following
| the release of MySQL 5.1. It will be interesting to see if IBM sticks to
| those plans, but given IBM’s support for multiple databases used against its
| hardware and software stack, it would not be at all surprising if it does.
| Let’s not forget that DB2 can also be used as a storage engine for MySQL on
| System i following the agreement struck between the two companies in April.

First it was nasty Oracle stealing pieces of MySQL and now /this/? IBM is at
least a friend of MySQL.

IBM, MySQL team up on database software

,----[ Quote ]
| Executives at IBM, the world's No. 2 software maker, and MySQL told
| Reuters they will announce a technology and marketing partnership
| on Wednesday at a MySQL users' conference in Santa Clara, California.

Google offers its own changes to MySQL

,----[ Quote ]
| Google long has been known to be a user of the open-source MySQL
| database software, but the search powerhouse this week published
| its own changes to the project.

MySQL's Planned IPO: OSS Buzz Isn't Enough

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat’s timing was excellent. This was true from a product/market
| perspective. What Red Hat wanted to do was essentially get users to migrate
| from a moribund Unix market made up of that IT Top 12 group of suppliers, not
| counting Microsoft, who were backing off their support of Unix.

Solid: Boosting MySQL for Mission-Critical Users

,----[ Quote ]
| MySQL is poised to attract keen attention from F1000s running
| mission-critical apps. A meaner, faster version of MySQL, dubbed solidDB
| for MySQL, is now in general availability (GA). Co-built by MySQL AB and
| Solid Information Technology, it cuts response times, boosts scalability,
| and processed 2x more transactions than Oracle InnoDB, say benchmarks.

Solid Unveils 2007 Roadmap of solidDB for MySQL

,----[ Quote ]
| For the first time, MySQL users will be able to take advantage of
| these advanced capabilities that are required to preserve
| business continuity and provide high level of service to end-users.

MySQL is the company's SQL now...

,----[ Quote ]
| Let's face it; MySQL is a fabulous database engine. Not only is it
| free, it's small, powerful and easy to drive. It also runs happily
| on free operating systems and so it can be used to create
| incredibly cost-effective database servers.

Real-time Linux vendor picks telecom database partner

,----[ Quote ]
| The companies will work together to expand their telecom-specific
| consulting services around MySQL-powered software running on
| FSMLabs's hard real-time enabled Carrier Grade Linux and BSD
| distributions, FSMLabs says.

InnoDB vs MyISAM vs Falcon benchmarks - part 1

,----[ Quote ]
| Several days ago MySQL AB made new storage engine Falcon available
| for wide auditory. We cannot miss this event and executed several
| benchmarks to see how Falcon performs in comparison to InnoDB and MyISAM.
| [...]
| Method of benchmark:
| 1. Prepare table with 1,000,000 records (about 350Mb of data on disk)
| 2. Run each query for 1, 4, 16, 64, 128, 256 concurrent threads.
| 3. For each thread perform a warm-up run (duration 180 sec), and then
| run three effective runs (duration of each is 60 sec).
| As the final result we get a maximal result of three runs

MySQL prepares for IPO and reveals Oracle endorsement

,----[ Quote ]
| "We are planning to go public," Mickos told Computer Business
| Review in an exclusive interview, adding that the Uppsala,
| Sweden-based database management vendor is in no hurry to go
| public after raising $18.5m in Series C funding this time
| last year and $39m in total.

'MySQL, Linux powers Web 2.0' - O'Reilly

,----[ Quote ]
| Without Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP many Web 2.0 companies would not
| exist today. This is according to Tim O'Reilly, CEO of O'Reilly Media and
| the person most often credited for coining the term Web 2.0.

MySQL is Hiring

Great Linux Joins Hands with MySQL

MySQL Expands Telecom Consulting & Services to Meet Growing Demand for Its
Open Source Database

Open-source integration (Unisys signs partnership with MySQL)

MySQL runs fastest

Jigsaw Business Contacts Marketplace Soars Past 3 Million Contacts; MySQL
Open Source Database to Power User-Generated Growth