[News] ODF is Winning, OOXML is Cheating, Microsoft Resorts to Abuse and Sabotage

  • Subject: [News] ODF is Winning, OOXML is Cheating, Microsoft Resorts to Abuse and Sabotage
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 20:22:41 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Dutch governmental plan for Open Standards: Netherlands Open in Connection

,----[ Quote ]
| Heemskerk has received strong support from the in October created OpenDoc
| Society, which has been co-founded by the Free Knowledge Institute, to share
| knowledge about OpenDocument Format.
`----

http://freeknowledge.eu/blog/wouter/netherlands-in-open-connection

Switzerland, Holland, Norway...

Oh! Oh! XML? news pickles

,----[ Quote ]
| Richard Stallman dislikes Miguel, New York's project World Domino calls for
| your participation and SCO owns us. Find out how xml helps us to be faster
| and better informed than Doug Mahugh.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-32220/oh-oh-xml-news-pickles

OOXML: Got the facts straight?

,----[ Quote ]
| Six public facts about Microsoft and standards as collected by Rui Seabra and
| a friend.
|
| [...]
|
| Fact 1: Bill Gates wanted to subvert ACPI so it would only work well with
| Windows, as it's documented on proof 3020 of “Comes vs Microsoft”:
|
| [...]
|
| Fact 2: Microsoft tried to sabotage the Java programming language,
| introducing in the market a product based on Java but with dependencies on
| its Windows platform.
|
| [...]
|
| Fact 3: Microsoft introduced proprietary extensions in HTML and aggressively
| induced its partners to use such extensions in order to monopolise internet
| browsing software (item 322, for instance):
|
| [...]
|
| Fact 4: Microsoft tries to exclude Free Softwares potential of
| competitiveness by making protocols proprietary (pg. 24 of PDF, 22 of the
| page numbering).
|
| [...]
|
| Fact 5: Microsoft was considered guilty of abusing its monopoly restricting
| interoperability information.
|
| [...]
|
| Fact 6: Microsoft didn't want to participate in ODF development (just like in
| Internet access, they understood the importance of standards late in the
| game) and only because of that it didn't oppose, at the time, its adoption as
| an ISO standard:
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-30775/ooxml:got-the-facts-straight

Related:

All sides of the debate?

,----[ Quote ]
| How many sides are there in the OOXML debate? What if all sides are Microsoft
| and Microsoft business partners?
|
| [...]
|
| Dough Mahugh (Microsoft) :
|
|     Next week's XML 2007 conference in Boston features speakers from all
|     sides of the document format debate, including a document interop session
|     with Miguel de Icaza (Novell) and Vijay Rajagopalan (Microsoft) that I
|     expect will offer a lively discussion around Open XML, ODF, and XML-based
|     interoperability in general.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-29108/all-sides-of-the-debate

Miguel, Mono and Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| is Mono's role in the deal that of a hook to make customers write
| .NET applications because they can be run on Linux - only to find
| later on that they are armless or legless because of a change in
| the .NETspecifications, a change which Microsoft decides not to
| make public?
|
| [...]
|
| And here we have an individual who decides to replicate one of
| the proprietary company's development environments - for reasons
| best known to him alone - and keeps telling people that the reason
| he's doing it is so that he can pull people over from the
| proprietary company's side to his side!!!
`----

http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11081&Itemid=1091

Portugal will send Microsoft to the BRM

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, as president of the Portuguese Technical Committee, is already
| controlling who will be at the BRM for Portugal. The Head of Delegation will
| be... Microsoft!
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-27501/portugal-will-send-microsoft-to-the-brm

IBM is still locked out of the Portuguese OOXML meeting

,----[ Quote ]
| In spite of various communications, we [IBM] are still locked out and will
| not be allowed to participate. Microsoft will be there, as well as a special
| Microsoft guest, as will various Microsoft business partners, and others.
`----

http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=1755

Microsoft's Stephen McGibbon to represent Ireland at the BRM?

,----[ Quote ]
| There are rumors circulating in Ireland that Microsoft's Stephen McGibbon
| might be part of the Irish delegation to attend the BRM in Geneva. Microsoft
| is already controlling the Portuguese delegation, you can expect that they
| will control half of the table at Geneva. O'MyGod!
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-29606/microsoft-s-stephen-mcgibbon-to-represent-ireland-at-the-brm

Opinion: Einstein's definition of insanity...

,----[ Quote ]
| But ISO standards have a much more political dimension to them than Internet
| (IETF) or World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) standards. Every country can vote,
| although not all chose to do so. Over the past few weeks, some strange and
| rather irregular national positions have come to light. My favourites were
| Cuba voting "Yes" to the fast-tracking of OOXML, even though Microsoft is
| prohibited by the US Government from selling any software on the island that
| might even be able to read and write the new format, and Azerbaijan's "Yes"
| vote, even though OOXML as defined isn't able to express a Web URL address in
| Azeri, their official language.
`----

http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=632

Whither OOXML?

,----[ Quote ]
| Strangely, however, Microsoft appears to be soft-pedaling its own standard.
| At GOSCON last week there was a panel on document formats, with reps from
| IBM, Sun, Adobe, and Microsoft present. Each of the company representatives
| got to speak for five minutes and present his company's perspective on
| document formats.
|
| In his presentation, Matusow appeared to be backing away from OOXML as a key
| technology. If you look at the slide he presented...
|
| ...you can see that the positioning now is that the tool is key, and the
| document format secondary, which, to my mind, is a bizarre assertion,
| although it's one that aligns with a positioning that, above all, must keep
| Microsoft's tools in a predominate position.
|
| It appears to me that, having realized that the force-feeding of OOXML into
| an international standards body is problematic, Microsoft is now trying to
| present a soft TCO story which emphasizes sunk costs and pre-existing product
| versions as a reason to stay on the Microsoft path, along with an
| incomprehensible assertion that two document standards would be a good thing
| (this last is the most oddball position of all; how can anyone state with a
| straight face that the world would be well-served by having two incompatible
| editable file formats?).
`----

http://advice.cio.com/bernard_golden/wither_ooxml

Microsoft Loses, Spins Open XML Vote

,----[ Quote ]
| ISO issued a statement that makes plain what Microsoft tried to spin as a
| victory.

Microsoft FUD Watch: OOXML Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| Apparently, there is more than one way to stuff the ballot box.
|
| In all my years working as a journalist, I've never seen any technology
| company spin information the way Microsoft did today. The press release on
| OOXML ratification is a blueprint for spinning semantics, and the stringing
| together of truths and half-truths to seemingly make the outcome of one event
| something else altogether.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/business_applications/microsoft_fud_watch_ooxml_edition.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Microsoft spins OOXML loss as a win

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft lost its effort to win “fast track” approval of its OOXML (which it
| calls Open XML)  as an international standard, but you wouldn’t know that
| from reading much of the press coverage.
|
|     * Microsoft claims global support for Open XML.
|     * Microsoft reports victory in preliminary ISO ballot.
|     * Microsoft takes big step toward OOXML approval.
|     * Microsoft is seen winning an international standard vote.
|     * Strong global support for Open XML.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1382

Lord, what fools these mortals be!