Re: [News] An 8-Day Vista Peril

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 18:56:24 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Wayne's Old Computer Gets Vista
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Opinion: Will a 2-year-old, but high-end, workstation run Microsoft's new
> | operating system?
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Jan. 31, 9 a.m.: I tried to investigate video cards again, and this time
> | the NVidia site worked, so I downloaded the list of cards that would work.
> | Then I called HP to find out which one I should use in my xw8000.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | (Feb. 8) 9 a.m.: IE7 still is speaking in Chinese. I check the language
> | settings. English is the only one selected.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Later that Day: Promises of help arrive from Microsoft and from
> | Symantec. Actual help, however, does not. At least NAV will
> | run for 72 more days, and it tells me I'm virus-free. Time to
> | set my Chinese speaking, virus-free, workstation aside and let
> | the news editor know that I'm alive and will be writing today.
> |
> | Will the Vista problems be solved? Probably not before next
> | week.
> `----

> Linux should only take minutes to install. It usually comes with all the
> necessary software and rarely requires hardware upgrades.
>
> A simple 'upgrade' of Windows sounds like a long journey judging by this
> story from a guy who pretty much knows what he's doing. This makes you
> woonder if Windows is an O/S for people who like to tinker and handle
> complexity.

I don't know whether this "Wayne" fellow was intentionally acting like a
clueless user to see what happens when said clueless user tries to upgrade
but he sure did strike me as your typical "computer expert" who learnt
everything he knows from reading PCWorld magazines on the bus.

I mean, who in their right mind would "ring HP to find out what sort of
video card would work"? As if *that* is gonna end well.

Not to mention "something called 'Nero' which I never use". What sort of
geek is not familiar with Nero? Even Linux geeks know what Nero does.

I'm not defending the many failures of Vista here, but it never ceases to
amaze me the levels of ineptitude attained by many of the so-called
experts over in Windows World.