Re: Vista Ready Boost (USB RAM Addon) Delivers Too Little

NoNamer wrote:
On Feb 9, 2:45 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Analysis: Vista's Ready Boost is no match for RAM

Once again, Roy leaves out the truth.

The *same* article concludes:

"Although an additional USB 2.0 Flash memory device clearly helps to
increase application responsiveness at launch time (we've experienced
time savings in this area of up to 50%), upgrading an average computer
from 512 MB to at least 1 GB of RAM makes a huge difference."

Note that they are saying this feature "clearly helps to increase
application responsiveness (up to 50%)."  That is *exactly* why this
feature was added to Vista.  So I'd say it was a success.

Their conclusion that upgrading mem from 512MB to 1GB makes a huge
difference is a NO BRAINER.  Everybody knows that.  It's the same for
ANY OS.

However, only Vista has the *added* option of ReadyBoost.  Linux does
*not* have it.  OSX does *not* have it.  Vista *does* have it.

As a user of Vista, I have the added freedom to choose to use my USB
key for added performance, file storage or *both*.

Linux doesn't give me that freedom.

Vista does.

Does Vista require more memory than XP?  Absolutely.  It has
additional features and capabilities that today's consumers want and
expect from their PC.

I don't even know what ReadyBoost is. Is this something consumers genuinely asked for, or another need that M$ has created for a culture that "saved negatively" last year as it was?

You can't offer a solution until you identify a problem. And, frankly, computers already DO what most people want them to do. How many of the hundreds of features in modern word processors (whether OpenOffice, Word, etc.) are simply unused by most people?

The only thing most of us really want is faster, better, cheaper. More bloat, slower response time, and a second mortgage on the house isn't what anyone is asking for. Anyone sane, that is.